Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory Needed?

1. Memory Needed?

How much memory should I have in my shiny new G5's to run Catalyst comfortably?

Mike was supposed to have started doing some tests.

Ill try and get him to report here.

I only use 512MB in my development machine.

Hard disc speed is the main performance determinant.

512 MB of RAM is fine to run Catalyst in

Quote Originally Posted by tylerr
    How much memory should I have in my shiny new G5's to run Catalyst comfortably?
    Plus you shouldn't be running any other apps simultaneously with Catalyst.

The stock 512 MB is fine.

Enjoy your shiny new toy.

Also, to get that last bit of oomph, go into Energy Saver, under Options, turn Processor Performance to Highest instead of the default Automatic. Buys you an extra few percent of hosspower.

-mike

i already posted on how to set the performance in the energy saver,

http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richa...read.php?t=112

5. Speed then

So if 512 of ram is enough are the stock Serial drives fast enough? I was going to add a second drive for content perhaps a MAXTOR 250GB SER ATA 7.2K 8MB SATA

Sound good?

Tyler

no.

you must get a sata raptor drive or go scsi.
    no 7200 rpm drives are good enough or fast enough to playback more than 2 layers at 30fps.

http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richa...ghlight=raptor

7. Drives

So if i need 10,000 RPM drives I can only get a 74 GB drive. Can I put an internal SCSI drive inside a G5 or will it need to be external? We currently have over 100 GB of stock material we keep on our catalysts.

Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by tylerr
    So if i need 10,000 RPM drives I can only get a 74 GB drive. Can I put an internal SCSI drive inside a G5 or will it need to be external? We currently have over 100 GB of stock material we keep on our catalysts.

Tyler
    Mike you want to answer this?
    or danny?

9. Also

If I were to use 10000 rpm SATA drives can I raid them together inside the G5 to make one large drive?

What kind of 2 layer frame rates can I espect with only a 7200 RPM?

Tyler

yes you can stripe two SATA drives together in a RAID using Apple Disk Utility. You can actually stripe 4 SATA drives using wiebetech's G5 Jam...but it doesn't help you run multiple movies any more smoothly. It's more of a seek time issue, how fast the read/write head can whip around reading bits of 3 or 4 movies a bit at a time. Imagine a record player's needle jumping around trying to play 1 snippet of each of 4 songs before it had to go read a snippet of one of the other songs....

then you get an idea of what your hard drive is doing.