Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MTRON SSD performance

I have been looking to replace our 146GB 15000rpm SCSI drive with these SSD's. But to get the same capacity i would need two 64GB versions, what is the recommended way or running these. Leave them as two separate drives/libraries or join them as a software raid for one volume. My gut feeling is the first as it won't cause you to loose the whole disk of one fails. What are peoples opinions?

Also are you going for the 3000 or 6000 series, i believe the 6000 is slightly faster. Is it worth the extra expense for the 20mb/s?

Cheers

Gareth
    Last edited by gazzer82; 18-04-2008 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Added model question

Quote Originally Posted by gazzer82 View Post
    I have been looking to replace our 146GB 15000rpm SCSI drive with these SSD's. But to get the same capacity i would need two 64GB versions, what is the recommended way or running these. Leave them as two separate drives/libraries or join them as a software raid for one volume. My gut feeling is the first as it won't cause you to loose the whole disk of one fails. What are peoples opinions?

Also are you going for the 3000 or 6000 series, i believe the 6000 is slightly faster. Is it worth the extra expense for the 20mb/s?

Cheers

Gareth
    Suggest buying big normal SATA drive - keeping everything on that disc - transfer over content needed for immediate show.
    you can playback from sata and mtron at the same time

no difference i ever saw between 6000 and 7000 series. i dont think its worth the difference in pricing right now.

no need to raid anything - leave them separate - no difference- unless you are planning on uncompressed HD...

Thanks richard, that all makes sense. No plans for uncompresses HD in the near future. It's most SXGA+ stuff at the moment, all compresses using AAC or JPEG depending on the content, we are mostly using the Panasonic 7700 and PTD-10000U.

Cheers

Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by gazzer82 View Post
    No plans for uncompresses HD in the near future.
    Hey Gareth,

Be careful not to think "uncompressed." PhotoJPG at 80% on a media server is about the best you will ever need for anything. As for large files, Apple Intermediate Codec is almost perfect for live projection.

If you need more than 64Gb, one suggestion is to get one of the 2.5" laptop Mtron drives. The currently have a 128Gb at dvnation.com which works fine. If you need for it to fit in your mac pro, there are tons of places you can find online to buy a 3.5" housing that receives a 2.5".

At least that way you won't have to wait until the 128Gb comes out in the 3.5" size.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised