Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slowing things down

1. Slowing things down

I often have a problem when i want to trim the speed of a movie. is there a way to smooth out the steppyness that i cant think of?
    Tyler Roach
    Eclipse Creativity, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerr View Post
    I often have a problem when i want to trim the speed of a movie. is there a way to smooth out the steppyness that i cant think of?
    What problems ?

What Codec are you using ?

If you want to slowdown a 25fps movie to 50% You will have 13fps and It will not look very good .

If you really need to slow things down I'll suggest to think about using all the incredible features of Final Cut Studio suite

3. I would rather not have to edit my whole library to have slow versions. This is a feature of another media server that is lacking is this wonderful one. What they do in that other one that i wont mention is cactually play the movies at 60fps and the server generates the half frames. So when slowed it still looks great!
    Tyler Roach
    Eclipse Creativity, Inc.

Tyler,

you can do the same with Catalyst and playback the movies @ much higher speed than it was produced but:
    You can't go below 22 frames per second without seeing a studder.
    That means if you produce your movies in 60 fps and play them back in single speed you have enough headroom to slow it down to 25 fps

We're talking about physics, not about software features.

Best

Rolf

5. Cool

I totally agree. But i believe the hypo and maxeda can do this and they do it by calculating the video inbetween the frames and sort of crossfade from frame to frame.

I am allways looking for a software solution to make things happen as most of the media server shows i do are not allways totally thought out and planned. i end up doing lots of things on the fly and frame crossfade mode would be awsome.

Besides Richard needs more to do. Right?
    Tyler Roach
    Eclipse Creativity, Inc.

Hippo and MBox do this. I have never seen Maxedia do it. A real must...

Hugh

Hippo does this, but only with Mpeg2 all-i frame movies. They actually do some interframe interpolation. Maxxedia does this, but not with quicktime files. Mbox does this with quicktime files (frame blended playback). They all work quite well.
    The hippo and Maxxedia do it better, but you have to have very specific file types. The Mbox might not be as good, but it is normally enough to get you where you need to be, and it works with all videos that the mbox can play back.
    As a side note, this would be extremely useful in pixelmapping applications, as getting slow enough movement when your pixels are as big as 1 foot is very difficult.

The maxedia was the first to implement "frame blending" and can do it with nearly all formats except quicktime which they are working on I´ve been told

Resurrecting an old thread with my first post!

But have to ask!
    Any plans on adding frameblend to the feature list??
    Having used hippos this really makes the difference in my choice. Too many corporate clients that just wants slow and nice backgrounds.
    Would really like it if Cat had this, this way I could get my "all mac" FOH running Jands Vista as my light desk!

Best regards/Björn Stolt
    Sweden

I agree this would be a great feature upgrade for Catalyst. Would use it all the time...