Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Master intensity per mix

1. Master intensity per mix

For the TV show i am working on the video dept is constantly asking me to dim down various led screens that i have mapped into mixes. The problem is that then they are transparent thus revealing my next or previous cue. A master intensity channel per mix would be fantastic!!!!!
    Tyler Roach
    Eclipse Creativity, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerr View Post
    For the TV show i am working on the video dept is constantly asking me to dim down various led screens that i have mapped into mixes. The problem is that then they are transparent thus revealing my next or previous cue. A master intensity channel per mix would be fantastic!!!!!
    I assume you are not using a DMX controller , am right ?

this happens via DMX as well, I run into this all the time in the world of TV, you need to bring down the intensity, but then you see through to layers behind the front one. What I have done sometimes in the past, is to use a color effect to darken the output, but you can't always do this. Having a master intensity that does not affect opacity per mix would be very handy.

Excuse me , you are right , I though that was there already :-)
    but it's not .

Agree with you

yes. actually this stuff is useful-

i came across this years and years ago - and it was the reason that people used celco desks on tv shoots - because they have a master output knob for each channel.

6. Sometimes even i think up usefull stuff.

I look forward to a knob in Catalyst.
    Tyler Roach
    Eclipse Creativity, Inc.

Just a suggestion... If I need to fade an output, I will usually use library 0 and file 1 (which is a black file) on a top layer. Then I can bring up the intensity of this layer on an independant fader and it acks like a fade to the whole mix. Yes, I know you loose a layer by doing this but until there's an upgrade, it's a good workaround.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    Just a suggestion... If I need to fade an output, I will usually use library 0 and file 1 (which is a black file) on a top layer. Then I can bring up the intensity of this layer on an independant fader and it acks like a fade to the whole mix. Yes, I know you loose a layer by doing this but until there's an upgrade, it's a good workaround.
    Awesome idea if you have the available layer, I will definitely put that one in my back pocket.

Well it seems to me with all the control we are given already with Mix Layer Selection , and Mix Shape....there really ought to be a whole DMX profile just for mixes.

So a user would simply patch a whole Mix as a fixture from the DMX console, which includes the Mix Layer Select, and Mix Shape parameters.

Other things I would personally like to see with this are a Master Intensity (as already stated), and Color FX, and Visual FX just like on the regular layers.

I hate to draw this comparison to another product here, but....it would be great if Mixes were controllable much in the same way as the "GLOBAL" fixture of a DL.2.

So a DMX chart might look something like this:

MIX LAYER FIXTURE

1 - Mix Intensity
    2 thru 17 - Mix layer select
    18 Output-1 select
    19 Output-2 select
    20+21 Mix X-position (pixel placement in raster)
    22+23 Mix Y-position (pixel placement in raster)
    24 Mix X-size/aspect
    25 Mix Y-size/aspect
    26 X1 Shape
    27 Y1 Shape
    28 X2 Shape
    29 Y2 Shape
    30 X3 Shape
    31 Y3 Shape
    32 X4 Shape
    33 Y4 Shape
    34 Mix Color FX
    35 thru 37 - CMY/RGB parameter control
    38 Mix Visual FX
    39 VFX param-1
    40 VFX param-2

Does this make sense? 40 channels just like a sub-layer.

I do realize that with 12 layers + 4 mixes this goes way over a single DMX universe, but this is easily overcome by using ArtNET, or using fewer layers/mixes.
    Best Regards,
    - Marty

Does no one else have any thoughts on this??
    Best Regards,
    - Marty