Thread: SCSI 15000 versus 2x10000 SATA on RAID 0?

Hybrid View

Sorry did not get back here for long time,... I am touring at the moment, so not so much time. I did tryied some of our files on a single diskd before.

Richard I will make some better tests soon I get back,.. but from what I recall, without the RAID set up, I can achive on a single SATA drive, sometimes 3, sometimes 2 original DV files from the library. Depends a lot on how much information you have on the movie.

Regarding big files (like 2400 x 600) or HD 1920 x 1080, with compressions in beetween 60 and 80% ( I got upper that 70% gets bad, but some movies, speccially with black background and white lettering, gets some strange white points arround the letters.) I never got those movies playing at 30 fps.
    They always still arround 27, 28, sometimes less. The RAID gets them to play at 30 fps.

Funny, I had a movie 2400 x 600 ( black and white on the begining, and then gets some colors), on the BW he got the 30 fps on a single SATA drive, when reach the colored part, drops to 24, 25 fps. Very funny....

I will make some more tests next week soon I get back. Cheers to all....
    Gian
    Ibeam SP
    SP, Brasil

After having a talk with Oli Metcalfe this summer when he was with Muse (and his Catalysts) at Rock am Ring I tried the 3 x 500G SATA Raid Level 0 (Striped).
    Works fine for me. Access time seems to be just a little slower than the 15K SCSI times.

I ran 2 full HD 1920 x 1080 Photo-JPEG 75% movies at 30 fps.

Starting another HD playback led to dropping frames on two layers.

But I could run another 720x576 Photo-JPEG 75% movie at 30 fps.

I will do some more testing with SD Movies on more layers.

System setup: Mac Pro 8xCore, 4 GB, 1x500GB System, 3x500GB Content
    Olli
    ------
    Oliver Ranft, Aachen, Germany

this all depends on what you want to do-

----

i test hundreds of codecs- i have very clear graphs- showing performance on many different systems.
    im working on presenting them a little clearer- in talking to people the detail was too technical.

this all depends on what you want to do-

----

i test hundreds of codecs- i have very clear graphs- showing performance on many different systems.
    im working on presenting them a little clearer- in talking to people the detail was too technical.