Hey Christian,
    What models are you using?
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Smile DVI extenders

Permit me to reply,
    Our client purchased a Thinklogical DCS fiber switcher with the Vis 23 Transmitters and recievers.

The TX and Rx boxs can be joined by a ST fiber and work independently

but we wanted the system to work via a matrix... it worked out of the box in Vegas for the Latin Grammys and image quality was stunning.

the Txs all have a monitor loopthrough and store the EDID data-- they can also power via DVI

The Rx have two DVI outputs - perfect for hot backup projectors and have Multi voltage Powersupplys --- very usefull in USA with 208v projectors.

Control is ONLY via IP ----one slight down side is a lack of a confidence display on the DCS.... but i am talking to the tech team at Think Logical currently.

Currently its just sitting on the desk, but hopefully next week it will be intergrated into a rack with the Raid array and some other toys.

We use standard orange patch fibers for local runs (cheap) and purchased 300ft Mil spec 4 cores for the projector feeds ---shame they are Black ---look just like a dmx cable.

One thing i would add is that even though we could use a Cat - DCS -Screen path we will still have a whole pile of Image Pros in the system doing SDI feeds to Plasmas and OB trucks --- AND providing a confidence monitor.

blessed is the Image Pro and all who sail/fly with one

My collegue FOH (JR) has a SDI to DVI device that we were hoping to test on this show as a return back from the OB truck but play time is over... its show time..

Regards

IanH ---- as normal sitting round the back in the dark

PS ----RB is a God---

Miracle One ---Screen warping ---- september tour, 2 hours to show -- we need a screen --got screen and projector, rigged both after doors projector at least 25 degrees off access and over shooting ---catalyst warped image in perfectly in seconds and that included the phone call for advice on how.
    oh we used an image pro on SDI input of cat to mix clients DVD and TXT computer
    Miracle two. ---- Blending -- with over 30years experiance of wide screen i was a catalyst blending sceptic, Encore yes, Spyder yes.. But for the LGs we used dual outputs of 1920 with blending for a forty foot screen - well chuffed with the blend ---(the dust stayed on the blendpro box) --

feel free to ask if you need more info,

Ian,

I have more questions. Email me when you get the chance.

SourceChild AT Runbox DOT com

Todd
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by litemover View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else think that we should be stepping into a new era bypassing all of the analogue RGB-HV and 15pin garbage, and go straight DVI to every source right out of the MAC?
    I'll never stop to say that monitors are useless , waste of room and even wrong resolution most of the time .

I like to run cable from Macpro directly to christies , witch native matrix it's 1400 x 1050 . If you connect a monitorz between the very expensive 1400 x 1050 matrix will have to follow the very cheep monitor resolution ...

I use a macbook pro to remote control and setup the catalyst servers ( head less ) Using ethernet cable , I can even go faraway from the servers .

People want useless preview ? Good we have it , since lasted release R the wizard make possible to get preview out of a mix .

Or even better go to convert all your library in a very lowres format and run your macbook pro as monitor as remote of the big Mac pro .

On most projectors, there is more control over the image attributes at analogue level than DVI (and SDI) - important if the image needs to be adjusted between projectors. This is the same for a number of LED screen processors too...

Ir really depends upon the nature of the application to decide which signal will be appropriate. - none of them are infallible and all have their drawbacks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P View Post

Ir really depends upon the nature of the application to decide which signal will be appropriate. - none of them are infallible and all have their drawbacks
    I completely agree with you here, there is no one solution to everything, you need to make the decision based on the gear on the gig, and what's available, there is almost always a mix of needed signals, etc.