Jason, Christian,
Seems like you two are lonely on this thread. I have been thinking and studying this myself for quite a while.

A great many projectors have DVI and SDI interface cards. Although many don't.

Not every show is a big "TV" budget show. Sometimes it's hard to even justify the cost of renting a catalyst much less a light console.

I am torn now on designing new Catalyst systems with SDI converters or DVI over ethernet converters built into the case.

The simple point is that I have had my share of Gefen extenders fail. I also know that Cat5e is cheaper that 75 Ohm Coax. I also know that companies having video projectors typically have plenty of Coax and very little Cat5e.

DVI to SDI converters are expensive compared to DVI over ethernet solutions. The bottom line is that SDI converters work. DVI over ethernet boxes still have a failure rate.

I don't own any ImagePros and I don't intend to get any. The cost is ludicrous except for those still lost in the TV world of big budgets. I have a scalar, it's called Catalyst. If I do a show where I'm feeding the video guys, I'll feed them hopefully SDI but it's not hard to get a cheap DVI to RGB-HV converter.