Quote Originally Posted by litemover View Post
The thinklogical DVI extenders are absolutely brilliant.
...they cost more than Geffen but they are worth it.
...having a build in DA for a preview monitor plus a spare fiber out....
This is a good answer and a very good suggestion.

I would go straight RGB-HV to the projectors and save even more money.
I'm trying to be the intelligence behind the video projection systems. That means owning the control systems and media servers and leaving video runs and projectors to whichever video company gets hired. If the most common standard is RGB-HV, this is why I would use it. If I know companies are using projectors with SDI then I would send SDI and just tell their techs to plug in the coax to the SDI.

If it were my production gear all the way, I would be sold on the thinklogical solutions easily.

Catalyst and all lighting based Media Servers can become very political in the TV industry
Yes and it might piss off many of you reading this who are TV people to know that the greatest value I offer my clients is in cutting the fat and eliminating costs.

I am a visual designer and even though I am also a DoP, the work I love doing is creating visual sets for nightclubs, concerts, and recently even people's houses and condos. The "TV Fat" is all stuff I just cut an get rid of and save tremendous amounts of money.

If you are a company who owns a bunch of Catalysts, yet pays for Imagepro rentals on nearly every output of your system for every gig and you do a lot of gigs, spend the money and purchase a Thinklogical system instead of renting ImageproHDs all the time.
I try to stay away from gear like imagepros that rent for almost as much as the damned Catalysts themselves. For this reason I would use a Thinklogical system if I had to purchase one.

Very good suggestions though and very compelling reasons offered.
Thanks