Quote Originally Posted by litemover View Post

This isn't directed to you, Jason, I don't mean to be argumentative ust informative, but anyone on the ImagePro bandwagon needs to protect their interest, after all they paid a fortune for each one and need to get them paid off before technology passes them up, guess what guys, it already has. So when I hear, SDI and Image pros are better than DVI, I just shake my head in disbelief that someone actually believes that.
Christian Choi
Christian,

No worries, I wasn't meaning to be argumentative either, and the whole point of discussion forums, in my opinion, is to offer differing points of view, and ways to do things differently, that why I enjoy reading them. While I mostly agree with you, I have simply found that the condition of DVI gear is not normally very good in the rental market, most of this stuff is built to sit in a computer rack and never move, and becuase of this, I have run in to many more problems with DVI based gear on shows.
There are also other resaons for imagepros in the system. I like them as a troubleshooting tool, its nice to have a dedicated generator, and the ability to black out the screen while I am working so everyone doesnt see what I am doing on the big screens is noce as well.
DVI is definitely the wave of the future, it has already come a long way in the past year, and given another year or so, I'm sure it will be seen much more on shows, but I think the robustness of the gear still needs to come a bit further. Also, like I said, finding this gear is not always so easy, especially in quantity, and if you are routing through a truck which is converting to SDI anyways, what does it matter if you go DVI or not?
There are definitely some very good uses for DVI distribution, but its not the end-all solution just yet.