Is it just me or does anyone else think that we should be stepping into a new era bypassing all of the analogue RGB-HV and 15pin garbage, and go straight DVI to every source right out of the MAC?

It has gotten so cheap to do this and you can run signal now up to 6.15 miles, perfectly preserved.

This would abandon the need for the use of Image pros or other scan converters and would give you much higher resolutions as well as a much cleaner looking signal to source.

Any one interested in this should check out Gefen's line of DVI extender, DAs, and switchers. Gefen also makes a very inexpensive but high quality DVI to SDI converter with scaler and your choice of genlock or no genlock, each unit is under $1500.

Gefen's DVI extenders come in both fiber/Cat5/and copper DVI cable (Snagless). They range in price from $150 for the lowest end extender to $700 for Fiber, $500 for the new Fiber ST (4strand) extenders.

Thinklogical makes a single fiber ST extender with a DVI monitor output. They are on the expensive side though.

Currently most people are down-converting their DVI sources to analogue the up-converting to digital again using ImagePros or other scan converters. When you compare the difference of going straight DVI to a projector to going through 2 conversions the results are noticeable to say the least going straight DVI. The screen pops out at you and the clarity is unmatched.

Digital monitors are well under $200 ea now and I would encourage anyone who is wishing to upgrade their system to do this. Purelink makes matrix switchers for DVI up to 18x18 if you need backup. Everything is starting to sway towards DVi and away from SDI.

Any thoughts on this? I know it would put a lot of Imagepros out of business but you could convert one system per show by saving in ImagePro or other scan converter rentals. Some people charge as much as $1500/wk for an ImagePro HD, for this price you could buy 2 digital widescreen flat panels, a Matrox triplehead2go, a DVI DA 1x4, and a DVI fiber extender with fiber. It seems like a no brainer to me. With Dual link you could get resolutions up to 4k. This looks very realistic especially with the Christy line of digital cinema projectors. I've seen projections that I thought were actual doors and architecture with 4k DVI projection.

Let's hear it from the Imagepro owners....

Here are the links to the sites:
http://www.gefen.com
http://www.thinklogical.com

Christian Choi