Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dongle issues

dongle issues

Hi,
    I'm running m119 on a mac pro and have a regular ittermitant fault where catalyst fails to see the dongle. I've had this happen on occassion with a few other identical servers (I have six indentical systems) but not by any meens with the same regularity. Also sometimes it will be fine straight after booting catalyst but then loose the dongle about an hour later.
    I'm guessing it is a hardware fault with the USB on the Mac, could anyone reccomend what to do from here to confirm this?
    I've currently swapped the dongles with another machine to see if the fault moves or not, and so far the fault hasn't re occured.

All suggestions welcomed.

2. Hi, i've had kind of similar actions. When auto loading Catalyst from startup menu the dongle wasn' t recognised. Quitting and reloading catalyst solved it. Strange and it did not happen always, only in some (unpredictable) occasions.

I found that removing Cat app and reinstall sometimes helps. In one occasion Cat app got corrupted and I had to reinstall because it wouldn't work no more.

So maybe you should try a reinstall????

Good luck
    Fons Hogenes
    Improve
    Rotterdamseweg 270
    2628 AT DELFT
    Netherlands
    info@improve.nl

I've seen this recently with Mac Pros. Are you plugging straight into the Mac or via a PCIe card?

Hugh

4. Hi Hugh,

How are you today....

Yes, i plugged in straight into USB port on back of MACPRO. One server worked without blue bars and red screens without even accepting the dongel After retrying several times finaly the dongle was recognised and accepted.

I have to say that this was with a system with build 119 installed. The other systems had 113 installed and ran fine... so maybe there is something with the build in driver in 119 ????
    Fons Hogenes
    Improve
    Rotterdamseweg 270
    2628 AT DELFT
    Netherlands
    info@improve.nl

i dont write the dongle software - its 3rd party- i get told by this whether the dongle is there or not.

the only thing i know for sure at the moment -
    there seems to be an issue when file sharing is turned on - it stops the dongles from working.

something in their drivers isnt working correctly with file sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Improve
    Yes, i plugged in straight into USB port on back of MACPRO. One server worked without blue bars and red screens without even accepting the dongel
    when i was with you in holland i made a code for one of your macs that didnt need a dongle. we needed it for your show.
    this is why you saw this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi
    Hi,
    I'm running m119 on a mac pro and have a regular ittermitant fault where catalyst fails to see the dongle. I've had this happen on occassion with a few other identical servers (I have six indentical systems) but not by any meens with the same regularity. Also sometimes it will be fine straight after booting catalyst but then loose the dongle about an hour later.
    I'm guessing it is a hardware fault with the USB on the Mac, could anyone reccomend what to do from here to confirm this?
    I've currently swapped the dongles with another machine to see if the fault moves or not, and so far the fault hasn't re occured.

All suggestions welcomed.
    you have a usb card with your dongle?

Hi all thanks for your replys,
    Yes the dongle is straight into the Mac as I dont have a spare PCI slot (two LFG cards)
    Richard thanks for the tip about file sharing, it is on at the moment I will try turning that off, although it is turned on on the back up server and that is working fine.
    I ment to mention in the orginal thread that catalyst sometimes loses the USB keyspan serial adaptor in the custom serial output box when it doesnt see the dongle. The TCP ones are fine -this is what makes me think it is a hardware fault.
    Is there diagnostic tool for the USB bus?

Quote Originally Posted by Improve
    Hi, i've had kind of similar actions. When auto loading Catalyst from startup menu the dongle wasn' t recognised.
    I know some one who has an auto load set, he had the same problem. He wrote a bit of apple script to delay catalyst booting and this seemd to solve the problem.

Just to share,... we did experienced a Dongle problem today.

Is a USB card with the dongle inside the computer.

We tooked out, did not work either.

We looked at the sharing, and was OFF,... but anyway we did START then STOP file sharing. We also trashed all the preference files from the Catalyst folder (3 files txt xml).

And now is working again. No Blue bars.

Is just to share,... BTW I belive is the file sharing as reoported before, but we used sharing in the past with NO Issues.

If anyone can share is OK by now, or if I will get future problems soon,... just let me know.

Regards to all
    Gian
    Ibeam SP
    SP, Brasil