Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PlaybackMode and In Frame Question

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    i like simple things.

i heard it was complex.
    At its core there are parts that are complex but very nicely ACN is being developed in opensource. For me SDT would be a bear to code.

DMX is a great protocol to replace what it replaced, streaming analog for dimmers. But at the end of the day the get/set properties of DMP will be wonderful for state machines such as moving lights, media servers, etc.

Check out
    http://www.openacn.org/

I have been an observer to the ACN task group (I am missing the Phoenix meetings as I write) and it is a great group of people.

Stuart

You need to do really clean and organised programming for media server programming. Play modes and in frame/out frame can really trip you up if you're not careful. A common technique with media server programming if firstly to 'preload' up coming movies on other layers (that's why you have 12 layers, right!).

DMX is a bit pants for media servers - but it's all we have at the moment. Who knows when ACN will be out...

Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by Spam Butterfly
    A common technique with media server programming if firstly to 'preload' up coming movies on other layers (that's why you have 12 layers, right!).

DMX is a bit pants for media servers - but it's all we have at the moment. Who knows when ACN will be out...

Hugh
    True... preroll is preroll. And that is how most state machines function...

But in this case Catalyst breaks the paradigm of what DMX is. And we cannot forget that DMX is a streaming protocol. All other devices out there do not act as state machines and only change when the state of the stream changes. If that is how the device needs to react then error checking is programmed to conform. Catalyst could see the request for loading a moive and request for InFrame of 150 and in the same packet and wait to do the Inframe when it is vaild to do.

All other devices out there in the world on a streaming protocol change when the stream changes. So it is an error for the movie to be in the state of frame 0 when the stream is asking for frame 150. 1 second/ 15 seconds later.... Irregardless of preloading/ preroll, on a streaming protocol this is an error.

Stuart