Thread: Dmx To Serial ?

Dmx To Serial ?

Hello everyone , Hello Richard , sorry if I'm a bit offtopic here asking this .

Does any one know a DMX to Serial Rs232 BOX ?

What Finally I've released it's that I need to controll the video projectors from a lighting desk ( hog3 ) .

Yes I know I can do it using the Catalyst but there are some issue about it .

1 ) we can't save the serial commands , so it's not possible to move all my serials commands to one mac to an other .

2) the Mac use a USB to serial , and it's not easy to go on truss with 9pin serial cables .

3) the over ip Boxes are really expensive . and even if I'll buy one , I still can't have a way to save my custom serials commands from a catalyst to an other .

I've found not many solutions , but I think this is really handy , think just LAMP ON / OFF .

I know HES have made a box , but they are selling it just with the orbital head , and it's not customizable .

any idea ?

Cheers

E

Doug Fleenor makes a stand alone box that is custom. It is pricey, about a grand if I remember correctly, but it is rock solid I am sure. Another thing you could do is get rs-232 to rs 422 or rs 485 converters as serial is only rated for 50 feet and 422/485 are rated for much longer like a few thousand feet. And you could probably just use a DMX line for it since it is shielded computer cable essentially and does 485 normally. That would be far less expensive. Maybe $30 per adapter and you just put one at each end unless the projector did 422 or 485.

Let me know if you want more specifics on it.

the link to the DFD page: http://www.dfd.com/232.html

artistic licence do one too- thats expensive as well. as far as i recall.

1 ) we can't save the serial commands , so it's not possible to move all my serials commands to one mac to an other .
    not sure what you mean by this?
    the command strings are automatically saved.

you just copy the prefs?

the over ip Boxes are really expensive . and even if I'll buy one
    not sure about this either - as they arent expensive - which ones did you get prices on.
    the ones i use are around 100UKP / serial port - that is not expensive.

just found the source of serial things not saving.
    its a left over from years ago.

when you have a cue list the commands are saved into the cue list file as well. and when the cue list file is loaded- they are loaded from the cue list file.

changed this so that serial commands are not saved in the cue list.

what I mean is that if I do all my Serial commands at home , say I do 1000 commands , how do I import it in a different Catalyst that allready have other preferences for mix layout and other things .

Let's say I'm using an EIKI video projector . in one show , then I need to change the EIKI to a Barco . OH ! I had already the barco serialz commandz in an other show !
    But wait a minute ... If I load all the preferences I lost all my current show setup .

I just wish to be able to have the serials commands out of the preferences .

just a simple editable little .txt file .

Question :

Where are stored your pre programmed once ?
    Where is the file contains the Inbuilt Strings ?

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    as they arent expensive - which ones did you get prices on.
    the ones i use are around 100UKP / serial port - that is not expensive.

Link plz .

Quote Originally Posted by ryanww
    Doug Fleenor makes a stand alone box that is custom. It is pricey, about a grand if I remember correctly,
    1320 Dollars !

BTW thanks for the info but 1320 dollars it's tooo much .

ok a little Bird say to go here :

http://www.amplicon.co.uk/dr-prod3.c...upId/12594.htm

169 royal Pounds , about 252 euro .

Hey ! plus ship .... 82 euro !