Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why don´t this play smooth?????

The thing is that Quicktime player and any editing package knows what is coming next so it can sort out it's caching and optimise playback.

Catalyst is doing things far more on the fly and at random so requires raw horsepower to do the tricks.

Again, an educated guess. I am sure others could help clarify.

Cheers

Toby

Then again, if 2.66 Ghz and an x1900 is not raw horsepower, then what is?

a 100 gig Ram Disk

To get back to how you are playing things.... Are you selecting the same video clip on two different layers to get them to come out of the two different outputs?
    Andrew Atienza

Fx Production Services
    http://www.fx-ps.com

Seriously though, what I mean is that when the gang of people who write the operating system and quicktime do there thing, they are trying to optimise it for 95 percent of the users. There is a lot of components in both hardware and software that have to interact flawlessly each time to make it all work.

I think that despite how powerful the current hardware has become there are still little tricks and compromises being made to make things look smooth. My guess would be that Catalyst playback performance is not high on their list of priorities. In the ideal world quicktime is tailored just to our needs and they work out those little tricks in our favour with regard to high speed random drive playback. However in the overall scheme of things we are a tiny user base doing something outside the norm.

I guess my point is this, there is so much going on between Catalyst and the hardware that is out of Richard's hands and the hardware manufacturers that just having the latest kit doesn't necessarily mean it will all work smoothly all of the time. We are probably the only group testing it under these conditions and some of it is just unknown territory. Software developers and Hardware manufacturers just don't get the time to extensively test every scenario. They just have to go for what keeps most of the people happy most of the time.

Cheers

Toby

... People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware. ...

Alan Kay .

but in that case because of the little very little lighting industry a Catalyst will cost a huge amount of money .

I think there a not other application that play 12 full resolutions movies at the same time in the market .

I agree with Toby

E

Quote Originally Posted by ping141
    Then again, if 2.66 Ghz and an x1900 is not raw horsepower, then what is?
    the computer isnt the main limit - its the disc.

--

Quote Originally Posted by ping141
    No. Only one file at a time. But I have several troublesome clips.
    can you send me your files?

Quote Originally Posted by FxDrew
    To get back to how you are playing things.... Are you selecting the same video clip on two different layers to get them to come out of the two different outputs?
    Nope. I play one clip at a time on one layer only, and I have had several clips that don´t play smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    the computer isnt the main limit - its the disc.

--

But in this case it is a Highend delivered SCSI drive delivering (according to the Decklink test software) about 113 mb/s both in and out.

And the clips I´ve had problems with are 146 mb over 1 minute and 8 seconds. The other I have before me is 60 mb over 2 minutes and 9 seconds.

To my understanding, this cannot push any limits in the world...