Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dongle question

Might be worth looking at Seritek as an interim storage solution

http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-2en2/

They have a Sata Card for a PC Express slot and you could run a pair of Raptors as your content drives.

Cheers

Toby

That is a really cool case. I have been looking around for hard drives myself and have found some decent single ones.

Lacie has some Sata 74 and 160 gig drives that are 10krpm for about 100 bucks (us) but it has a seek time of 11ms where the raptor only has 4.5 or so. How much of a difference would that make? Do you normally raid 0 or 1?

RAID 0 gives you the only advantage but in bandwidth only. As stated in many previous threads, beware hard drive specifications as they can be misleading. Random access and spindle speed are what counts.

Cheers

Toby

Just out of curiosity, how is using firewire 800? I am just looking at enclosures and most of the dual HD have that. Plus it would make it a smidge more universal between machines.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanww
    Just out of curiosity, how is using firewire 800? I am just looking at enclosures and most of the dual HD have that. Plus it would make it a smidge more universal between machines.
    Are you using a Mac at home ? Or are you using PC ?

I am all mac.. well mostly.. stupid hog 3pc. Lol. But yea, all of my computers have firewire on them.

Hey Ryan,

I'm using a Macbook Pro 17" with a 7200 rpm disk, a 2.33 Ghz Dual Core and 2 Gigs of Ram. Aditionally a Lacie Big Disk D2 (7200) and a Matrox Triple to go.

Running on this Catalyst Pro DV gives me the Possibility to run three videos correctly Coded, at the same time. Also keyed Image Overlays work well.

Of course you need to know where the limits of you're system are but actually this entire Catalyst System fits into a backpack.

Best

Rolf
    www.chaoscenter.net