Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No HUD on Triple Head 2 Go

1. We had a double 2G G5 with the ATI 9800.

We ran from display propertys both outputs on 3072 x 768 with triple heads.. I hardly got that working from the Apple. Starting up Catalyst then en entering full screen.. No output what so ever and NO HUD's...

I was running m92 you send me for this show...

Ruediger tested this simultane in Germany on a G5 as well with another build and got the same result.
    Fons Hogenes
    Improve
    Rotterdamseweg 270
    2628 AT DELFT
    Netherlands
    info@improve.nl

RuedigerH Guest
    The machine is on the road and will return to Arcus-warehouse tomorrow.
    I will then sent/check the profile.

I got the same issues like Fons with a G5 Dual 2GHz with ATI X800XT and OS 10.4.8.

Ruediger

not sure what you talking about . I know that some time the second head give problem during start up . i had many problems with it .

It seams that osX do not recognize it .

Quote Originally Posted by RuedigerH

I got the same issues like Fons with a G5 Dual 2GHz with ATI X800XT and OS 10.4.8.

Ruediger
    thats a really old g5.

if it works it works - if it doesnt it doesnt.

depends on the maximum resolution that the x800 will support - you have to start at lowest resolutions - try 640x480 times 2 which is 1280x480 or 1920x480.
    you must not expect these devices to work at high-resolution of 1024x768x3. or even 800x600x3

x800 might only support up to 2048x1536 - and thats the maximum. triple head or no triple head.
    the specs and the limits are real.
    Mobility™ Radeon® X800 Series supports the latest high resolution and wide-screen notebook displays with a flexible and easy-to-use interface for multiple display settings. ATI’s new LCD Enhancement Engine (LCD-EE™) allows for support of the latest high resolution and wide-screen notebook displays such as WXGA (1920x1200) and QXGA (2048x1536).
    you are dealing with real hardware and software limits.
    Many older graphics cards only every worked - even at their maximum up to 1920x1200 - and even that was really pushing it. it really was.
    the matrox triple and dual head - pushes things well over these limits.

you have to test every single combination you intend using.
    and if you try to work at this resolution on two screens -?

Quote Originally Posted by Improve
    We had a double 2G G5 with the ATI 9800.

We ran from display propertys both outputs on 3072 x 768 with triple heads.. I hardly got that working from the Apple. Starting up Catalyst then en entering full screen.. No output what so ever and NO HUD's...

I was running m92 you send me for this show...

Ruediger tested this simultane in Germany on a G5 as well with another build and got the same result.
    very very old machine - 9800 very old graphics card.
    suggest you did something that was not supported by this card. or this machine.

you cannot just plug this in and expect it to work - you have to test it.
    i would be very suprised if a 9800 in a dual 2.0Ghz g5 went above 1920x1200 at its maximum - on a single output - which means you are leaping into the dark.

You say it hardly worked in 'apple' - then you expect it to work in a graphics intensive app like catalyst on an old low-spec machine?

Quote Originally Posted by emilianomorgia
    not sure what you talking about . I know that some time the second head give problem during start up . i had many problems with it .

It seams that osX do not recognize it .
    and what machine were you trying to use?

Quote Originally Posted by RuedigerH

Ruediger
    yes and your graphics cards probably only work up to 2048x1536- if that?
    and these are very old old machines.
    you have to actually look at the specs of the machines...

---

there is no mystery here -

you are expecting these machines to do more than they are capable of....

this isnt a bug - in either hardware or software - you guys are pushing things over the limits....

I have noticed with the same machine (except with a 9800) that even using The new Edge blending and widescreen overlap features that the graphics card is the bottle neck.

I have even had one card the overheats and I need to remove the card directly above it to keep it working.

After that experience I don't think I would even try the Matrox boxes on a machine/card that old.

The cards were great in their day but that day has passed.

Cheers

Toby

The Radeon 9800 is capable of doing 3072 x 768 but for graphics only. Then it's running as a movie playback device, it will only support up to 2400 x 600. It was my mistake running the box with a 9800. When I swopped cards, it worked the way I was hoping. There were still some inconsistencies but I think that the 9800 needs to go in the trash.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    one of your monitors is 1280x1024 at 60Hz?
    the other 3072x768 at 75Hz?
    Yeah, the moment I started troubleshooting I killed the 2nd mon and ran the TH2G by itself on the 9800. This helped obviously.

you have installed some older ATI display drivers? I noticed you have something called ATI monitor running?
    Yeah, that's the problem with pulling a machine out of an old render farm.

running monitors at different refresh rates is almost always a problem - you need to find a resolution that works - or combination of resolutions and refresh rates that work.
    Yes, and there is that funky thing with the TH2G where certain refresh rates are not supported at certain screen sizes.

also suggest you uninstall any ATI drivers or monitors.
    As unless these are very recent - they are likely to be the source of bugs in graphics.
    But they might not. There are too many combinations of things.
    I don't even know why they are on the box except that the systems was updated by someone who apparently used the ATI cd to install a driver that was older than the tiger driver.

This isnt going to fix anything - but suggest also you install 10.4.8
    What's the advantage of 10.4.8?
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised