PDA

View Full Version : DVD player input or onboard DVD

DarrylACLC
13-12-2006, 04:57 PM
I have a customer who wishes to use DVD playback as the content for pixelmad. Is this achievable with a Mac's onboard DVD drive? Can this drive by bound to a layer in some way?

If not, would the other be binding a video input to a layer and running the DVD player into the video-in?

Darryl
AC Lighting Inc.

samsc
13-12-2006, 06:08 PM
why do they want a 'dvd'? what do they want to do?

dvd's are copy protected - if they are commercial.

other than that a dvd is just a movie. and it can be transcoded to something a lot more usable in pixelmad.

there are several programs out there that will convert dvd's to movie files-

mac the ripper:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715

DarrylACLC
14-12-2006, 01:17 PM
It's for the purpose of an install, but the end-user will not be that technically savvy. I think too, that they may have one of those 'minds-eye' dvd with the psychadelic colurs and such. What we dont know is if the content will change over time, or if the need to use the DVD is related to the content providers capabilities. In the end I think it boils down to ease of use to the end-user. They walk in , insert dvd, and press play.

Hope that helps.

samsc
14-12-2006, 01:46 PM
can you say more about the intended usage?

You need auto play when something is inserted?

Is there anything wrong with using an external dvd player - they are cheap enough - and using video input?

richard

DarrylACLC
15-12-2006, 12:53 PM
I really can't say anything else as I do not know anything more since we are quoting a dealer who is reselling the product.

The video in,of course, is not a problem but would significantly increase the price of the hardware required to fit their requirements.

If it can't be done as a standalone on the same machine I understand, I'm not asking you create the feature if it's too difficult.

could you recommend a hardware setup (mac and video-in card) to handle 24 universes (maybe only two layers since it's really only going to have 1 layer of content.)

Thanks,

Darryl

samsc
15-12-2006, 02:17 PM
I really can't say anything else as I do not know anything more since we are quoting a dealer who is reselling the product.

The video in,of course, is not a problem but would significantly increase the price of the hardware required to fit their requirements.

If it can't be done as a standalone on the same machine I understand, I'm not asking you create the feature if it's too difficult.

could you recommend a hardware setup (mac and video-in card) to handle 24 universes (maybe only two layers since it's really only going to have 1 layer of content.)

Thanks,

Darryl

you can do video input with a $150 canopus firewire box?

http://www.canopus.com/products/ADVC55/index.php

if you use one of these - you can use any mac from an imac or intel mac mini?
is this what you want to know?

richard

DarrylACLC
18-12-2006, 01:09 PM
yes, that's perfect info, thanks

Darryl

samsc
18-12-2006, 10:00 PM
does your show need video output and dmx at the same time?

DarrylACLC
19-12-2006, 01:12 PM
no..it would only be outputting to pixels (color web)

Darryl