PDA

View Full Version : Low cost PCI capture card

GideonKiers
27-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Hello,

Theatre here is looking for a 'cheap' solution for realtime camera input into their dual 2.5 g5 catalyst pro v3 system. Resolution is not that much of an issue, 640 x 480 resolution should be fine.

Has the miglia alchemy been tested with a similar setup ?
Any alternatives available ?

thanks,

samsc
27-10-2006, 02:09 PM
you have to indicate which kindof g5.
there are several with different pci slot types - all incompatible.

alchemy tv card only ever compatible with 1st generation g5 ( not pci-e ) - might work in pcix- dont know. - and support abandoned some time ago.

---

you might contact active silicon -

http://www.activesilicon.co.uk/products_fg_lfg.htm

they have single channel composite cards that seem to work in my newer machines. not tested in any old g5's

GideonKiers
27-10-2006, 02:59 PM
this would be the M9457LL/A - Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5

http://support.apple.com/specs/powermac/Power_Mac_G5_Late_2004.html

you have to indicate which kindof g5.

samsc
27-10-2006, 03:20 PM
ask miglia whether the alchemy tv works

i think active silicon have a pci-x lfg1.

i havent tested either of these cards in these machines.

GideonKiers
30-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Okay, no word from miglia yet. In the mean time, should firewire input work for catalyst as well, and has someone maybe used this device with catalyst before ?

http://www.1394imaging.com/en/products/converters/dfg13941e/overview/

Last question : Has anyone maybe tested another simple composite PAL input card with catalyst ?

thanks,

GideonKiers
30-10-2006, 06:11 PM
i think active silicon have a pci-x lfg1.

Mmm.. i couldnt find a pci-x solution for the one-input card. There seems to be one for the 4 input card though. I've sent them a mail to check.

GideonKiers
31-10-2006, 11:22 PM
yes, miglia confirms they should work on these machines.

ask miglia whether the alchemy tv works

Spam Butterfly
01-11-2006, 10:42 AM
The Aurora Pipe card (now superceeded by the Fuse X) I have tested extensively, and although it's more expensive, it is actually better than the Miglia Alchemy TV DVR card. The only real benefits from the Miglia card are a) it's cheap and b) you can put two cards in one Mac - usually you have to do something like a Decklink and a Miglia/Alchemy to get two cards working.

Hugh

GideonKiers
01-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Excellent, thank you.

Improve
20-11-2006, 07:45 AM
Richard,

If I were to buy a new decklink card for a MAC PRO. Am I better of with the decklink HD extreme, or the decklink extreme.

Please advise

Mr_P
23-11-2006, 02:18 PM
You can use up to 2 alchemy cards in a Mac PCI/PCIX - not in PCI-E
Decklink only supports single card in ANY mac
Is possible to use an Arora+Decklink together... if you can get hold of any arora cards (from the USA) - as it looks like they've gone bust...

Have used all these scenarios above - and they all work in the macs that the cards fit in... You should be able to get an Alchemy for £60 - all others will set you back over £300 min....

hope this helps - give us a shoult if you want to test out a card before you make a purchase

Simon

samsc
23-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Richard,

If I were to buy a new decklink card for a MAC PRO. Am I better of with the decklink HD extreme, or the decklink extreme.

Please advise

only decklink extreme has been tested.