PDA

View Full Version : Sync ID - dissapear???

Mr_P
08-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Got a weird one.... anyone else experienced it?

Went to exchange a dongle in a clients hired catalyst - reason being they had a V4 dongle due to availability - but were only running V3. So it was due to be swapped when V3 dongle was available.

Heres what happened:
Shutdown V3 mac in question
Opened up mac
swapped V4 dongle for V3 dongle
closed mac
re-started mac
catalst started (autostart)

everything (seemed) ok - correct 'cat settings' file - correct patch, cat name, serial controls, file ;locations etc....

However, when restarted didnt notice that the Sync ID's weren't correct......(aparently)
The Sync IDs were either not present or incorrect. - despite no change to the cat settings file on my part - or even going near the folder......

Has anyone noticed this problem before?
Is it possible for sync ID's to disapear after swapping dongles but all other setting remeain the same?
Syn ID;s didnt show up in any 'pre-show' checks due to no cues that used 'sync id' to check it.... so didnt notice the problem....
Essentially though - if there was only ONE cat settings - no copies etc... why would all the settings be correct except for the Sync ID's, when the system was restarted?
Anyone got any ideas?

Am I loosing it? (no comments thankx.....)

S

samsc
08-08-2006, 08:43 PM
did you turn on remote?

did you run different versions of software?

samsc
08-08-2006, 08:48 PM
v4 dongles do work on v3

v3 and v4 will change each others settings- if you run them from the same folder.

but changing the dongle wont do anything...

Mr_P
08-08-2006, 08:50 PM
simply changed the dongle - thats it.....

didnt do remote (know about that)..... no software change.... same version, same settings (so i thought) only running V3
V4 installed on a different disk partition - not in use at all....

confusing.....

samsc
08-08-2006, 11:16 PM
what did they change from or to?

Mr_P
09-08-2006, 12:51 AM
running Cat v3.32 h25Pro - no change
the catalyst happend to have a v4 dongle in it initially (due to availability) but was running v3.32 h25Pro
dongle was swapped to a v3(pro) dongle - procedure listed above - since v4 dongle was required elsewhere for a v4 mac.....

only the dongle was swapped - EVERYTHING else remained the same! - software, hardware etc etc....
the only thing that seemed to get lost was the sync ID's......

and im at a loss as to why the sync IDs would change - yet everything else was corect and remained the same...... patch, name, locations, serial codes etc.

Mr_P
16-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Solved it....

Just tested the 2 catalyst in last week in the warehouse.

It would seem that when you do a remote preview, the sync IDs are not simply reset, they are copied from the server you are previewing!

In this scenario, both servers originally had unique sync ID's - I tested what happened when you do a remote preview to the other server which has sync It's set. During preview - all settings are correctly displayed, as well as the sync ID's - However, on turning off the remote preview, the sync ID's were not simply reset to 'off' - they remained the same as the other server just previewed.

This was exactly the issue as described above, except that when the dongles were swapped - I didn't do a remote preview (no need!). This also fits with the fact that the production had suffered a similar issue on the previous performance - which points to the idea that someone had done a remote preview long before I arrived to do the dongle swap.

so - no correlation between doing a dongle swap and Sync ID's..... definitely an issue with remote preview.

Any chance of fixing the remote preview sync ID issue to avoid this problem in the future Richard???

Cheers

S