PDA

View Full Version : Comments on V4

Mr_P
17-05-2006, 01:24 AM
Comments on V4 (4.02m40ProHD) - hope that you find them useful.

HUD
HUD's do not restore view after re-start (4.02m40ProHD) you have to manually press W and X to get the HUD back on the screen. This needs to be fixed for 'auto-start' setups

Also - Mix windows and other HUD views only seep to keep their positions and sizes on output 1 - nothing restores on output 2 between re-starts? of any of my comments - this is my BIGGEST BUG - please fix ASAP?.. It is imperative for mix views to remember their settings (like on output 1) on output 2 - especially for 'auto-start' and 'power failure' scenarios

Have written an apple script that solves this issue and includes a delay start-up for catalyst to get around the finder menu issue that appears now and again - Script can be added to start-up items and delays catalyst loading for 3 seconds, then waits 10seconds and does a W and X key press to display the HUD's - scripts on a different thread: link: http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richardb/upload/showthread.php?t=856

Please make HUD views solid - not transparent - may look 'cool' but is difficult to read - and there's no real need for it to be transparent???

'Layers'
No numbers (dmx values) beside any of the playmode functions - (all other list functions have numbers - lib, file, colourfx, visfx)

Also - when you click on any of the list items, they appear over the top of any mix windows, vertically above or below!.... This is no good for live work?. This re-enforced my original comment about having the layer controls on the live desktop!!!! - (bad idea - should have kept it in the control window!)
However, this is now re-designed, (and probably wont change - lets make it work?.) so the Mix windows MUST be made TOP priority with no overwriting from menus possible when 'locked' in position. Also mouse should be hidden if 'on top' of a window.

Folder, file, playmode, sync etc is difficult to read as it is displayed over the top of the 'content' would be better to be 'off' of the content and either above, below or beside it.

If you change to a remote network view on the layers view - when you change back to your local server, all the sync ID's are set to off? rather than being restored to what they were - ALSO PLEASE FIX ASAP

Also with 12 layers - really need 4 more sync ID's - i.e. total of 24

Bring back the old 'simple' layer view - with just the content and simple file/folder/content info view. The Layers view is very 'technical' with all its controls. However it is sometimes necessary for untrained (DSM's etc) to see what's happening on all the layers on a particular server - and to be able to choose between servers. I.e. we put a networked mac, with all the content on its local drive and give the DSM the ability to view a simplified layer view of any Catalyst server on the network. I suppose we can still use V3 for this, but it would be a shame to lose this in V4

'Libraries'
Need a user definable menu option to be able to select whether the scan files window is seen or not? and possibly where it appears. If hidden - it can seem like catalyst has locked up - in tech sessions - it is useful to be able to see the window to show that catalyst is working - scanning files. - especially useful when using a networked Mac for control

Files view on Library HUD needs better definition between folders. - like the old version - current one merges folders one in to the next in one VERY long list, and if VERY difficult to use if you have to scroll down the whole list?. Has almost made it useless?.(sorry!) Bring back a next/last button to scroll thru folders, similar to before - and a jump to folder box. The actual icon views, with file/folder naming is good. But folders need to be better separated for easy viewing.
(Colour fx, visfx and presets views good - with scroll bar rather than next/last buttons)

DMX Artnet view - excellent

Need ability to be able to re-size - with option to lock aspect ratio (mainly 4:3 or 16:9) for all mix windows and video input windows.

Menu - Window/library/presets
In Edit preset layer view - some values are editable (tabulated ones) - other values - numeric are not?Would be VERY useful to be able to edit ALL values that are displayed in this view. - since it takes too many view changes to go back to the Layer controls, change the value, then go back and save it, enter timings name it etc - get my point???......

When 'accept remote commands' is selected - commands are not actioned on the 'command' server (i.e. the server where you use the mouse to select the command) - all other connected servers action the commands so the 'remote' bit works?? just not the 'local' bit.

Can you include some more serial string examples in the list - Barco, Kramer, etc? Have put my cheat sheet on a separate thread too link: http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richardb/upload/showthread.php?t=855

It seems that you've changed how the cat-settings file works with V4 - can you explain what's used at start-up now? - I send servers out pre-patched and use a default setup (cat_settings file) - is it xml now? What is the CatPPC_settings.xml file? Now that you have a save show for the chow control bit - it would be useful to do the same for the rest of the settings - or include both in one?

Like the new FX - haven't played with them all - but they look interesting. - Have written an updated Hog Profile to accommodate for it - will upload it on a separate thread - link: http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richardb/upload/showthread.php?t=854 Also included the functions .txt file for the Hog II to include 'colourfx' under the colour palette - not the beam pallet??.

Finally - when I got the upgrade code for V4 - it didn?t work 1st time?.. I tried about 4 times to enter the code - copy, then hit enter code to paste from clipboard. - Emptied the clipboard and then hit enter code to clear the info in the code box - all I got was invalid code. However, I entered a load of text by mistake that was left on the clipboard from another app, then went back and copied the real code again - and it worked?.. SO - it seems that it didn?t like the upgrade code unless some invalid info is entered before the real upgrade code!!!!..... Weird.

Hope this is useful - do call if you need any clarifications

Thanks

Keep up the good work ;)

Simon

samsc
17-05-2006, 07:09 AM
HUD
HUD's do not restore view after re-start (4.02m40ProHD) you have to manually press W and X to get the HUD back on the screen. This needs to be fixed for 'auto-start' setups

Also - Mix windows and other HUD views only seep to keep their positions and sizes on output 1 - nothing restores on output 2 between re-starts? of any of my comments - this is my BIGGEST BUG - please fix ASAP?.. It is imperative for mix views to remember their settings (like on output 1) on output 2 - especially for 'auto-start' and 'power failure' scenarios

i think this changed since m40.
please try latest build.
i think i spotted this several months ago.

Please make HUD views solid - not transparent - may look 'cool' but is difficult to read - and there's no real need for it to be transparent???

i played around with making it solid. in the end i felt the overall impression was better with slight transparency. i could make it an option.

'Layers'
No numbers (dmx values) beside any of the playmode functions - (all other list functions have numbers - lib, file, colourfx, visfx)

there should be numbers - they are in the menus for playmodes.

Also - when you click on any of the list items, they appear over the top of any mix windows, vertically above or below!.... This is no good for live work?. This re-enforced my original comment about having the layer controls on the live desktop!!!! - (bad idea - should have kept it in the control window!)
However, this is now re-designed, (and probably wont change - lets make it work?.) so the Mix windows MUST be made TOP priority with no overwriting from menus possible when 'locked' in position. Also mouse should be hidden if 'on top' of a window.

menus are drawn by apple, i have no control. cant do much about it - though i believe it would be really confusing if they didnt come to the front - from a gui pov. i understand why it might be a problem.
menus are not the best way to select items - i was trying to slowly replace them using 'library' type things.

the mouse - is a difficult issue - i cant turn it off. as it would baffle users.

If you change to a remote network view on the layers view - when you change back to your local server, all the sync ID's are set to off? rather than being restored to what they were - ALSO PLEASE FIX ASAP

hadnt spotted that. it resets to default value.

Also with 12 layers - really need 4 more sync ID's - i.e. total of 24

sync id should be used so that all layers which need to be together use the same sync id.
i thought this would not mean each layer had to have its own id.

Bring back the old 'simple' layer view - with just the content and simple file/folder/content info view. The Layers view is very 'technical' with all its controls. However it is sometimes necessary for untrained (DSM's etc) to see what's happening on all the layers on a particular server - and to be able to choose between servers. I.e. we put a networked mac, with all the content on its local drive and give the DSM the ability to view a simplified layer view of any Catalyst server on the network. I suppose we can still use V3 for this, but it would be a shame to lose this in V4

i keep getting asked for this type of thing. including ability to resize.

Need a user definable menu option to be able to select whether the scan files window is seen or not? and possibly where it appears. If hidden - it can seem like catalyst has locked up - in tech sessions - it is useful to be able to see the window to show that catalyst is working - scanning files. - especially useful when using a networked Mac for control

thats a tough one.
scanning files can take such a long time - i think it is important that this dialog is always always visible.

Files view on Library HUD needs better definition between folders. - like the old version - current one merges folders one in to the next in one VERY long list, and if VERY difficult to use if you have to scroll down the whole list?. Has almost made it useless?.(sorry!) Bring back a next/last button to scroll thru folders, similar to before - and a jump to folder box. The actual icon views, with file/folder naming is good. But folders need to be better separated for easy viewing.

its always one step at a time with this.
i dont have so many files - its easier for me -
people with more populated files need the option to display by library.

the advantage of this is that you dont have to hunt for files, they are all there in a list

DMX Artnet view - excellent

it isnt quite good enough yet.
latest versions can patch the artnet to specific universes.

Need ability to be able to re-size - with option to lock aspect ratio (mainly 4:3 or 16:9) for all mix windows and video input windows.

In Edit preset layer view - some values are editable (tabulated ones) - other values - numeric are not?Would be VERY useful to be able to edit ALL values that are displayed in this view. - since it takes too many view changes to go back to the Layer controls, change the value, then go back and save it, enter timings name it etc - get my point???......

work in progress. many improvements need to be made here.

Can you include some more serial string examples in the list - Barco, Kramer, etc? Have put my cheat sheet on a separate thread too link: http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richardb/upload/showthread.php?t=855

sure. any others.

It seems that you've changed how the cat-settings file works with V4 - can you explain what's used at start-up now? - I send servers out pre-patched and use a default setup (cat_settings file) - is it xml now? What is the CatPPC_settings.xml file? Now that you have a save show for the chow control bit - it would be useful to do the same for the rest of the settings - or include both in one?

usage is still the same as before. for now.
im slowly moving to xml- but its encoded so not editable, and being able to save the settings. not quite there yet- as users want to save things like color gamma setups as well- and move them between machines.
it takes quite a long time to debug this and remove glitches.

to support ppc and intel - with as few endian bugs as possible.
ppc and intel versions have separately named settings files. for now.

Finally - when I got the upgrade code for V4 - it didn?t work 1st time?.. I tried about 4 times to enter the code - copy, then hit enter code to paste from clipboard.

i think there was a bug with empty clipboards - i think this went away some time ago.
the other thing to remember is that - you dont type apple-v for paste - in catalyst- you just click on 'enter code'

thanks for all your comments.

CatalystGirl
17-05-2006, 03:29 PM
I noted a couple things on V.4.05_m45UB_HD on EasyBugTracker

samsc
17-05-2006, 04:38 PM
noting them here - in bug reports might be useful.

Mr_P
18-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Hello -
Few comments after using latest version today and further comments to the above comments....

HUD restore positions
All HUD issues, as mentioned, on output 2 seem to work correctly now. :)

However, if you overlap 2 mix windows slightly, it doesnt restore correctly in the following scenario:
Place mix 2 overlaping on top of mix 1, lock all - do a restart - and mix 1 will apear on top of mix 2 - not as when left.
(I had to fit 2 x 640x480 mix windows on a 1280x1024 desktop - and had to overlap mix 2 on top of the layer select buttons on the RHS of mix 1)

Sync ID's
In certain cases where it is not always obvious, when setting up, which layers might be used as 'masters' - therefore it is necessary to assign sync ID's to most layers (if not all of them). If you then consider multiple servers, more sync ID's would be usefull.... either that or we have to plan our setups with more pre-thought!!

Scan files
if you scan files using 'Menu - Window/library/' 'scan files' button - the dialog is visible. However if you use the 'scan files' button on the 'library' HUD view - it isnt....
(so that answers my request.... kind-of!?!)

HUD Library files views -
On output 1, after slow scan files, icons are visible - but are kind of pixilated and blury.
If you open the same HUD view on output 2, even after a slow scan files, the icons are simply 'white'... no images seen.
Any chance of sharper images?

Cat Settings:
Figured out that 'CatPPC_settings.xml ' is the one to look at for v4.05m45
'Cat_settings' not relevant for V4 - only for V3.

Remote commands
Any comments about the 'accept remote commands' not actioning on 'local' mac when commands are selected? - still doesnt seem to work on 'local' Mac - but does do the selected command on remote macs.

thanks for the reply earlier

Simon

samsc
18-05-2006, 11:08 AM
However, if you overlap 2 mix windows slightly, it doesnt restore correctly in the following scenario:
Place mix 2 overlaping on top of mix 1, lock all - do a restart - and mix 1 will apear on top of mix 2 - not as when left.
(I had to fit 2 x 640x480 mix windows on a 1280x1024 desktop - and had to overlap mix 2 on top of the layer select buttons on the RHS of mix 1)

mix order is not saved - it is fixed on run to mix1-mix2-mix3-mix4.
i actually think this is safer.
if you want overlapping you need to take this into account. which will work. change the mix position, and the mix number

more sync ID's would be usefull
i added a few more - but this really isnt the way it should or needs to be used.

scan files' button on the 'library' HUD view

i think its going to come back...

On output 1, after slow scan files, icons are visible - but are kind of pixilated and blury.

computer graphics resources are not infinite.
it is kept low resolution to make sure there is enough ooomph in graphics system on low end machines.

accept remote commands' not actioning on 'local' mac
i think the way it works is the way it should work.
you can still run the command on the local mac - if you need to.

Mr_P
19-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Quote:

i think the way it works is the way it should work.
you can still run the command on the local mac - if you need to.In V3 it used to action on the local Mac too (so long as 'acept remote commands' was enabled) If you dont want the commands to action on the 'local' mac - (ie the one where you use the mouse to select the command) then you would simply disable 'accept remote commands'

ie if you want to send full screens to all - then the command would action on ALL macs where 'acept remote commands' was enabled - including the 'local' mac - same with quick scan files, shutdown, restart etc..... all of these would need to operate on the local Mac too - unless 'acept remote commands' is disabled on the 'local' mac...

samsc
19-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Quote:

this is working for me on this mac- maybe its just a hidden endian remnant issue.
this mac is an intel iMac.

Mr_P
19-05-2006, 11:39 PM
I'll check it out again on a couple of different servers on monday, and let you know. Not a big issue for now - until I get another big show come along.....

S

samsc
23-05-2006, 10:02 AM
please try the fc2 build.

it has more serial strings and other things