PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating the Macintosh screens

samsc
17-02-2004, 05:36 PM
You need to always always calibrate the displays you use with catalyst.
Every output system has different colour and contrast characteristics.

You need to go to 'System Preferences' ->Display.
Then click on the color panel - and run through the color calibration.

I created a quick pdf showing what can be done

litemover
09-04-2004, 02:48 AM
You need to always always calibrate the displays you use with catalyst.
Every output system has different colour and contrast characteristics.

Thank You Richard but I do this already on all gigs except I use 2.2 television gamma because Danny told me to use it for TV as we balance to 3200K. I should use a custom white point and balance to a lower gamma but the lower I go, the more washed out the image gets. Then the image gets further tweeked by the video people. My screen calibration is really just a reference point for them as it has no bearing on the different projectors.

This doesn't help with the inverting problem. This is truly a bug and is very difficult to deal with when being asked by the director for something green. I must use my red and cyan encoders to try to mix a green rather than just pressing my green palette over my inverted image. Inverting images is a great way for me to recycle old content especially on a series.

Try it out and you'll see what I mean with the washing difference between 1.2 and 3.2. You'll see what i mean.

Christian

samsc
10-04-2004, 10:18 AM
This doesn't help with the inverting problem. This is truly a bug and is very difficult to deal with when being asked by the director for something green.Christian

i made another colorfx that does the right thing.

---

most people dont know about calibrating their screens.
and it really makes a difference too.

Spam Butterfly
13-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Two identical monitors are essential for doing this - sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised the amount of people use the TFT monitor provided with Catalyst and A.N.Other ACME monitor... This won't do, really.

You know then that you are sending a perfect data signal to the projector or video wall processor, and you can show your projectionist or screen tech what you are after from them.

Christian - what is you inverting problem???

Hugh

samsc
13-04-2004, 07:11 PM
Christian - what is you inverting problem???

Hugh
he wanted the invert modes to invert - then subtract the colour.
I took out the colours then inverted.
i added new colour modes that do this.

----

i dont think many people have experienced the problems with calibrating monitors for broadcast or accurate colour....
tft's in general dont have anywhere near the colour response that people are used to from watching tv's.

this is a psycho-perceptual issue, that is based on normal viewing conditions and distance to the monitors.

we tend to use tv's in totally different environments to monitors.
tv's more than 10ft - often in darkened conditions.
monitors - 10 inches- in bright environments.
the different viewing conditions mean that the screens are setup differently.

they actually do experiments on these things, to determine the best setups for monitors in different viewing environments.

samsc
13-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Danny told me to use it for TV as we balance to 3200K.

....Oh no not colour temperature.....

that's another can of worms.

you cannot strictly speaking set up the colour temperature of any device- in software, because the colour temperature is really determined by the lamp source used in the projector or monitor, or whatever.

these lamps generally do not have continuous spectrums- so you cant 'set the colour temperature' to anything.

this is an approximation only, and what you expect to see based on the colour response of all the devices, cameras, other lightings, maybe nothing that you expect....

litemover
14-04-2004, 07:08 PM
....Oh no not colour temperature.....

Was quoting danny on 2.2 tv gamma. Downstream of me, I just put up the b&W GRADIENT and they (projector people) adjust ct, though they sometimes ask if I can raise it for them due to lamp issues.

CC

samsc
14-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Was quoting danny on 2.2 tv gamma. Downstream of me, I just put up the b&W GRADIENT and they (projector people) adjust ct, though they sometimes ask if I can raise it for them due to lamp issues.

CC

each projector will have its own native or progammable gamma:
How one goes about calibrating this stuff really has to be based on what works, looks good, doesnt distort hilites and colour, unless that is what the end user wants?

the issue is that mac screens are setup with a less steep gamma curve that pc's, macs default to 1.6-1.8.
This means that images produced on a mac look different on pcs.

One cant really compensate for the green or brown tones that old bulbs give off.

samsc
04-05-2004, 08:42 PM
I added a new ui HUD in f24.

It shows the current gamma transfer function across both displays.

This allowed us to check that all the displays in istanbul where using the same output gamma, which was important for the screen processors doing the overlap.

samsc
08-05-2004, 08:10 AM
I added a new ui HUD in f24.

It shows the current gamma transfer function across both displays.

This allowed us to check that all the displays in istanbul where using the same output gamma, which was important for the screen processors doing the overlap.

How do i use this?

This is set by the os and colorsync.

The 'Displays' preferences allow you to set a calibration for each screen.
this is what the calibration effects.

There is a rather good piece of software called 'Profile Maker Editor' from GregTabMacbeth that allows you to make a curve in any shape you want.

You cold use this to create a screen profile that was optimal for a DL1 in certain conditions.

litemover
26-03-2007, 02:35 PM
I use a Spyder now and it works great!

Never have color calibration problems anymore.

Christian