PDA

View Full Version : Refresh Rates

Vickie_C
12-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Hi Richard
i'm curious if you can explain why there are so many possible refresh rates and resolutions available from within the catalyst application? I've always followed your recommendations, but am not completely clear on the reasons behind them.

For 30fps I've always chosen 1024x768 60hz
for 25fps I've always chosen 1024x768 75hz

It was once explained to me that we should use 60hz when we run the app at 30fps because it is a clean divisor of 60, and 75hz works with 25fps for the same reason.. is that so that no frames are lost due to an uneven refresh rate?

Then there's the issue of some of your content being rendered at frame rates less than 30fps, mixed in your catalyst system with content rendered at 30fps.. what happens if your refresh rate is set to 30fps but you're playing a movie that is rendered at 25fps?

As you can see, there's a lot of confusion i think among catalyst users about settings like this.

one last thing- you recommend we set our display settings in the preferences window instead of within the application... why is that? if that is the case, why are we able to change them there at all? what are the possible reasons why someone would want to change them from the application window and not within the preferences window?

thanks for your forum..it's a blessing to have direct access to a video guru like you
Vickie