View Full Version : peperoni usb dongles

samsc
24-01-2006, 06:26 PM
http://www.peperoni-light.de/products1.htm

litemover
06-04-2006, 07:14 AM
http://www.peperoni-light.de/products1.htm
will the usb dongle work with Catalyst?

I like this find, the dmx to midi rackmount would allow one to easily control qc patches.

Thanks for the info.

Christian

thomasrotten
30-05-2006, 08:58 PM
anybody tried this dmx 2 usb interface with the catalyst??

samsc
31-05-2006, 04:05 AM
since i wrote the software .... the last time i checked it worked with the single universe input dongle....

ryanww
07-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Are those available in the US?

Would the Enttec Open DMX USB or the DMX USB Pro work with the Pepperoni driver or would you ever be interested in adding a driver for either of those?

Ryan

samsc
08-01-2007, 08:37 AM
so far - i believe the peperoni ones seems to be the most reliable.
though i havent checked in a while.

did you send them an email about distributors?

ryanww
08-01-2007, 03:53 PM
I did last night and they replied back saying that they have no US distributors but it would be about 210 US converted from euros including shipping which isn't all that bad. The Enttec USB PRO is probably 30 bucks less.

litemover
25-03-2007, 10:33 AM
I'll go ahead and purchase a Pepperoni single input dongle and let you all know how they work.

Christian Choi

emilianomorgia
25-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I'll go ahead and purchase a Pepperoni single input dongle and let you all know how they work.

Christian Choi

It work great here .

kmclights
22-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Bumping this thread with fruther questions about reliability of peperoni Rodin 2.

Twice in a tech now I've had the nice flashing blue LED turn constant and Catalyst stopped seeing DMX. The DMX was there (tested it) but plugging and replugging the DMX didn't resolve the problem. Only unplugging the USB from the Mac Pro and replugging resolved the problem.

Both times it has been totally unpredictable when it stopped working. Not good when I'm relying on it to trigger Catalyst at key moments. I've put in an e-mail to the guys who make peperoni to see if they have any ideas. Anyone else had any problems or found out why this may be happening.

Cheers,

Kevin

kmclights
22-05-2007, 07:09 PM
From the peperoni makers...

Dear Kevin
The steady blue light means - you are right - that DMX is received. In addition it means that there are not USB transactions going on. The later seems to be the reason for your problems: the catalyst software is not handling the Rodin2 anymore.
As long as the software is handling the interface the blue led is flashing with approx 2Hz. If there is no DMX signal present the led will flash red with approx 2Hz and keep signalling usb transactions in blue.
Hopefully that helps.

Kind regards
Jan Menzel

...For all you who know more about Catalyst than I do...If this is true, why would Catalyst stop handling the peperoni adapter all of it's own accord?

Kevin

samsc
24-05-2007, 10:44 AM
dont know - not tested recently for over a year - but i think that peperoni changed the way they did the usb.

emilianomorgia
24-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Catalyst does handling the peperoni adapter.

samsc
24-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Catalyst does handling the peperoni adapter.

i think they may have changed something in the hardware - but i havent had a chance to test for a long time

Mike Redmer
24-05-2007, 07:51 PM
i have actual running a peperoni dmx->usb interface (it's two month old) and work's without any problems on intel mini mac pro, osx 10.4.9 and catalyst m119.

plug, patch in catalyst and play

samsc
24-05-2007, 09:30 PM
some people are having problems. i think there are different versions.

Mike Redmer
25-05-2007, 09:35 AM
possible is also the dmx protocol with it different versions. many dmx receiver have problems with revision a, will stop working and have to restart.

it run's with hog2, osx 10.4.9 and catalyst build 119

samsc
26-05-2007, 08:14 AM
i think they might have changed the way they handled their usb transactions- i recently bought a rodin T - i have to check but im completely overloaded-

jkumin
18-09-2007, 03:09 AM
I did last night and they replied back saying that they have no US distributors but it would be about 210 US converted from euros including shipping which isn't all that bad. The Enttec USB PRO is probably 30 bucks less.

Ryan,

I don't want to sound like your mother telling you to wear galoshes when it's raining, but I had to write to point out something you may have overlooked. The difference between the Enttec DMX USB Pro and the Peperoni line is a lot more than $30, if you look at the model that has isolation.

Perhaps you have an isolated splitter in your setup that takes on this responsibility, but for all those readers who don't know it, the use of isolation in PC-based DMX control hardware interfaces is an important concern. It's not just a marketing buzzword. Enttec makes a product that doesn't have isolation, which costs $60 US. If you're really budget-conscious, you could go there, but be forewarned....

At the factory, we have a collection of them that people sent back after they were the victims of ground loops between dimmers and the computer and other hardware. In some cases the USB port was also taken out. There is a time when you can get away with non-isolated hardware but most people reading this forum will have too much invested in their systems to risk it.
To protect your CPU, make sure you either purchase an interface that is isolated, or get an external splitter with that capability and use it all the time.

Hoping you all practice safe dmx.

Jeremy Kumin
Enttec US Sales

ryanww
19-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Yea, I know.. I have seen it as well.. Large ground potentials don't do electronics well..

I now have a Pro and a normal.. neither of which I really use though.. No one really makes software for them anymore. I was hoping someone would make some cool software but most of that has stopped.. I wish the cat software would work with the pro

Peter
19-09-2007, 05:52 AM
Yeah, me too. The pro works great with arkaos and DLight (a simple but very effective lighting soft, no moving heads though)

ping141
19-09-2007, 06:29 AM
Yes, I´ve had these problems. Mine mostly go to the Catalyst seeing the Peperoni, but giving 0 on all DMX channels upon startup. This happens very frequently. Unplug/plug the USB side works.

But, a desk operator had my system suddenly not responding to DMX during show, and it took him a while to get it back going, so I´m not all comfortable with the Peperoni.

samsc
19-09-2007, 06:43 AM
you need to be careful not just with dmx and usb - but with anything you plug in.

serial ports- i blew up a powerbook with a serial lead-

audio input and output - audio often needs to use isolating transformers - if you plug into external equipment - on many shows i do the audio gear is on a different phase!

you have to be careful with monitors too, and make sure you are on the same phase as the video people.

kmclights
19-09-2007, 03:04 PM
This debate seems to be going in two directions. One has to do with isolation. The other has to do with Catalyst suddenly deciding to not listen to the peperoni interface.

I'm moving a show that I first used the peperoni on into the West End this week and started tech today. I quit the application and restarted it and all of a sudden my DMX triggers stopped working. Unplugged the USB end, replugged it, and all was fine. Glad to see that someone else has seen this happen.

Richard, you seem to suggest above that peperoni may have changed and that may be effecting why Catalyst stops listening randomly. I'm writing to the makers of perperoni now. What should I be asking about to help isolate this problem?

Thanks,

Kevin

samsc
19-09-2007, 03:07 PM
probably something i need to look at - just got no time.

kmclights
19-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Add it to your list. I'll see what I can get from peperoni and report back.

Thanks,

Kevin

samsc
19-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Add it to your list. I'll see what I can get from peperoni and report back.

Thanks,

Kevin

usb devices can be quite tough to debug

litemover
20-09-2007, 03:47 AM
I've seen this problem happen frequently before. I think the name of the device was a CIB???? It always failed because the USB cable kept unplugging and getting plugged back in.

A few people actually went to the measure of siliconing theirs in place. The problem is with it being plugged in and unplugged so much it easily loses contact, just like the CIB.

For a couple hundred bucks, I would just buy one, keep an extension on it and replace the extension cable when it got too worn out.

Christian

samsc
20-09-2007, 04:41 AM
I've seen this problem happen frequently before. I think the name of the device was a CIB???? It always failed because the USB cable kept unplugging and getting plugged back in.
Christian

thats not the same problem or the same device as in this thread.

the CIB was the device made by High End Systems.

using artnet is much better in my humble opinion.

Mr_P
09-10-2007, 02:16 AM
Not urgent -
But cant seem to get a Rodin T to be recognised. System profile reports it correctly - but catalyt doesnt (m147)...
S

samsc
09-10-2007, 10:01 PM
it only works with the rodin 2.
the devices all have different usb id's.

peppe
15-11-2007, 01:46 PM
It work great here .

I have a RODIN T, maybe only RODIN 2 is working when I can´t get Catalyst to see my T, I can choose Peperoni, but in the dmx value it just says "no peperoni".....and no signal, even with plug in and reconnect....

I don´t have acess to a RODIN2 to test, so anybody have function with a T?

Mr_P
16-11-2007, 09:45 PM
indeed

I purchased a Rodin T - and it would be great to be able to use it :)

not an urgent request though Richard... ;)

S

SourceChild
16-11-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm hungry. All this peperoni, I want pizza.
I don't use Rodin boxes (or havent yet) I use the DMX ethergate MK2 on my machines because for some funny reason I can't get Catalyst all on one universe anymore and Enttec was the first place I went after the HES sellback.
i have not used any USB devices so your feedback influences my decisions.

Just a thought, i bought a bunch of used Opto Splitters used a few years ago and I use them all the time now when crossing electrical service. I suggest the same for anyone using Cats and Controllers on different electrical service.

samsc
15-05-2008, 12:51 PM
indeed

I purchased a Rodin T - and it would be great to be able to use it :)

not an urgent request though Richard... ;)

S

recent builds from around feb 08 -do work with the rodin T input. not sure they made it out into the wild yet.

SourceChild
15-05-2008, 02:50 PM
recent builds from around feb 08 -do work with the rodin T input. not sure they made it out into the wild yet.

As far as recent builds, I am still using the m180 you sent me. Is that most current? It's solid so far as I can tell but didn't know if you have anything else.

Raoul
03-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Has anyone tested the Rodin T for outputting a single universe from Pixelmad as well as for input?

samsc
03-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Has anyone tested the Rodin T for outputting a single universe from Pixelmad as well as for input?

i never trusted them for output - i never liked usb output devices- artnet is much better

NevBull
04-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Luminex are about to launch a new 2 universe Artnet interface - i understand the pricing will be very keen!

Nev.

Raoul
04-10-2008, 02:27 PM
A new 2 universe Luminex sounds very interesting, any idea as to when this maybe launched?

Mr_P
04-10-2008, 04:21 PM
A new 2 universe Luminex sounds very interesting, any idea as to when this maybe launched?

Luminex already have a 2 universe Artnet interface on the market and an 8 universe interface: Node2 & Node8 - they've been around for some time... Both are available with wi-fi option too.
http://www.luminex.be/products_overview.php?cat=1
Give us a call if you need to get hold of one

The new interface is a 4 universe device. (not available yet) They are also offering the ability to change the DMX connectors from just female (existing) to male as well at time of order - if you want a box with 2 ins and 2 outs (for example) - rather than using adaptors or m-m cables.

There are a number of cheaper alternatives on the market - 2/4/8 port - that don't have as many configuration tools - they all do the basic job of DMX-Artnet/Artnet-DMX conversion... I like and own Luminex Node8's as they are very flexible and configurable.

Peperoni USB are cheap - but I've had experience of them dropping out - I have a Rodin T & Rodin 2 - either work for DMX input (but not both at the same time... the latest plugged in takes priority) There is currently no facility in catalyst to route DMX to a Rodin 1 or T for DMX output. - I seem to remember that you can't do simultaneous DMX in and out on a Rodin T anyway - irrespective of catalyst.

Use artnet - its more reliable....

S

samsc
11-10-2008, 05:05 PM
and ups's uninterruptable power supplies can play havok with ground potentials and communications.

NevBull
31-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Hello All

the new Luminex DMX2 MKII I mentioned in my previous is now available - it has two DMX inputs/outputs - configuration via web page as per the other Luminex products. Its in a 1u 19" rack case - full spec as below.

Connectors:
10/100BaseT Ethernet connection on a Neutrik RJ45 Ethercon connector
2 DMX512-A in/outputs on shielded 5 pin female XLR, with termination (DMX512-A)
Features:
DMX routing, universe setting
Input and output enable / disable
DMX input / output frame rate setting
IP settings
Unit ID and labeling
Ethernet activity indication on front panel
Up to 20 programmable profiles and routings
Up to 10 predefined profiles (ethernet, splitters, mergers)
Operation:
Ethernet <-> DMX (ArtNet)
DMX Merger
DMX Backup
DMX splitter / booster
DMX trigger. Remote selection of the merging policy though DMX
Built-in DMX softpatch
Wysiwyg enabled. DMX inputs can be visualised in Wysiwyg
DMX snapshot. Capture 3 lighting states (fixed values) per outlet
Modification of captured values from the Web interface
Auto-load capture on boot-up (ideal for expo)

SourceChild
15-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Enttec Artnet boxes for DMX to Artnet work great. This is what I have always used. The web interface is a bit of a pain. In most cases, I just leave the box in its default mode for DMX in to Catalyst.

When I need to drive DMX out for LEDs, I use Luminex boxes if I can get them and have had no issue with the Node8s.

After having some issues with other assorted USB devices, I have to agree with Richard that they are not worth the risk of reliability when staying in Artnet works fine.

Mr_P
20-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Artistic Licence have re-launched their etherlynx Artnet interface 2 input, 4 output:
http://www.artisticlicence.com/index.php?mode=products&sub=overview&action=&category_id=4&product_id=393&project_id=&policies_id=&cart_id=&order_id=

Both Etherlynx, Catalynx (2 input or 2 Output) and the new Datalynx 12 way (6 input / 6 output) interfaces includes a web-browser interface for configuration.

New node 4 product available from Luminex:
http://www.luminex.be/products_details.php?cat=1&prod=0100030&display=description
Node 2 & Node 8 products also provide 2 & 8 I/O respectively

(Watch out for old Luminex Node 8's that exhibit 'freezing' - solution seems to be to upgrade firmware and increase the PSU voltage to 5.2v)

Simon