PDA

View Full Version : v4 questions/ observations

Sandals512
17-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Machine: Quad G5, 5gb Ram, Nvidia 6600, stock HDD, OSX 10.4.3

when playing back more than 3 layers of video frame rate drope considerably, I'm going to retest with either a 10K scsi, or firewire 800 raid tomorrow and see. I also can see the 6600 as a limiting factor when using visual fx, it wasn't too bad, but I can forsee issues wen I'm doing more stuff.

I LOVE the new GUI, makes it easy to do alot. i'll play with the HTTP from another mac tomorrow or later tonight, it looks like a great internal solution.

Now questions.....

1) how do you determine what mix is going where (it's probally something simple i've overlooked) or is it like earlier versions and just allowing for dual video cards.
2)using our own 3d models....... where will we be able to use our own? Will it be drag and drop into a folder?

So far so good, i'm going to try and get something to output artnet to see if it's just as stable while being run externaly. Been up for 3 hours so far with no ill effects, and thats with me having mail, web browser and motion open also.

Keep up the good work Richard, I'll keep tring to see if I come up with anything bad.

samsc
17-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Machine: Quad G5, 5gb Ram, Nvidia 6600, stock HDD, OSX 10.4.3

when playing back more than 3 layers of video frame rate drope considerably, I'm going to retest with either a 10K scsi, or firewire 800 raid tomorrow and see. I also can see the 6600 as a limiting factor when using visual fx, it wasn't too bad, but I can forsee issues wen I'm doing more stuff.

thats pretty much what you can expect using the internal disc drive.
the cpu isnt the performance limit.
its the seek time on the disc.
you must always put your media on a separate drive - the os hits the system drive with requests for things like virtual memory paging.

you also might like to try one of the new raptor 150gb drives.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=189&Language=en

are you running at 30 or 25fps?

samsc
17-01-2006, 08:33 PM
I also can see the 6600 as a limiting factor when using visual fx

6600 is a step back from the ati 9800 and the x800 on the previous g5s.

its about the same performance as an nvidia 5200. not that great

try the 7800. i only just got one.

dont get the 4500 it uses two slots. and is gigantic

Sandals512
18-01-2006, 12:08 AM
6600 is a step back from the ati 9800 and the x800 on the previous g5s.

its about the same performance as an nvidia 5200. not that great

try the 7800. i only just got one.

dont get the 4500 it uses two slots. and is gigantic

Yeah, unfortuanately I bought on of the first quads and the only card I could get was the 6600. And I haven't yet been able to find just a 7800 GTX mac card, trying though.

I'll take a look at the new raptor drive, I also ordered a 320 gb firewire 800 raid array today, I'll let you know how thats working when I get it... but so far, so good.

jasonrudolph
18-01-2006, 01:00 AM
1) how do you determine what mix is going where (it's probally something simple i've overlooked) or is it like earlier versions and just allowing for dual video cards.
\

This is baffling me too. I would really love to be able to just "dock" the mixes like you can using the GUI but have their outputs stay there with the GUI not active. This is ideal for controlling multiple outputs of versatile/tube or MiPix. (which I do frequently) So that I can just map them to different parts of the screen.

Overall, I REALLY like the changes, and there are lots of little useful changes that I can see improving my shows.

Jason