PDA

View Full Version : Gobo as Cutting Tool/ Alpha Mask Generator

Fiddlesnaps
30-11-2005, 07:30 PM
I am looking for a way to shape a layer of video playing on top of a background.

Ideally, I'd use a black and white gobo as my cutting tool. White would be set up as transparent in order to shape the outer edge of the video frame, and black would also be transparent in order to allow the background layer to show through. (While eliminating the unwanted video border from shaped layer)

It seems that this trick is halfway there, depending on which layer I want to see. Can I do this?

andyv
01-12-2005, 01:13 PM
If I understand you correctly, this should do what you need.

Layer 1
Setup with your background image

Layer 2
Setup with your gobo image
Set the colour effect to Transparent Whites ( DMX value 4 )

The black in the gobo image will not show the bacground image, but where ever there is white in the gobo you will see the background image.

Is this what you wanted ?

AndyV

Fiddlesnaps
02-12-2005, 05:14 PM
We're in the same neighborhood. However....

Make layer 2 Transparent Blacks, so the background layer shows through, except for where the gobo is.

Now, On layer 3, (for example) I want to play a file inside the white that remains from the gobo layer.

Both layer one and three would need to reference the layer 2 gobo.

High End has said since my last post that it can't be done, however this shouldn't be that hard to do...

Thanks. Chris

On a completely seperate tangent. A setting to allow crossfades while switching files within the same layer would be cool. A frame grab, while acessing the new file, if you will. Something like what WinAmp does when switching songs.

tharding
03-12-2005, 01:37 AM
I have asked for this before. The correct term is a Travel Matte. Uses a lot of horsepower to accomplish.

However with the advent of mapping onto 3d objects I was wondering if mapping onto the shape you want extruded in 3d with a very slight thickness might get the desired effect?

Cheers

Toby