PDA

View Full Version : Remote other Servers

emilianomorgia
31-10-2005, 05:53 AM
I've read this : http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richardb/upload/showthread.php?t=521&highlight=remote+desktop

But I keep asking if it's possible to remote the servers with remote desktop only to set up 'em . If I'm not wrong Cat4 will have 4 output , and most of the time I don't have the server close to the Hog . what's the point to have the LCD 100 foot from me ?

The only things I need it's to know if servers works , upload file from my ibook ( I can do that all ready ) Send Goto Full screen ( I can do that all ready )

I just think that remote desktop it's good to wake up server , restart and config them .

I'm asking it's possible to control some how several cat servers from a " iBook " ?

If yes what's the best way to do it ?

Thanks

samsc
31-10-2005, 02:28 PM
a large number of questions...

remote desktop has been used to configure things. but needs to be completely turned off before any serious work is done.

remote desktop is NOT orientated to providing any kindof of realtime video performance - and its use as a preview destroys the entire purpose of this application.

there is NO software application that can be written to do this.
as getting a softwarepreview from the graphics card right now is a very performance intensive thing for the computer to do.

using remote desktop will destroy playback performance.

---

in a future version 4 outputs may or may not be possible, or might have a serious performance penalty that makes it unusable.

---

using a hardware device to provide a remote preview is the best thing to do.
It may not seem like it - but it is.
the ethernet bandwidth requirements to get 1024x768 images onto ethernet at 30fps are very large.
if compressed, then the computer is hosed by doing compression.

emilianomorgia
31-10-2005, 05:08 PM
I don't need preview at all , I need only to config and control if the servers are working , preview it's only a placebo .

samsc
31-10-2005, 08:58 PM
I don't need preview at all , I need only to config and control if the servers are working , preview it's only a placebo .

configuring using remote desktop seems possible.

i havent run it for a while, so im not sure how easy it is to turn off.

It did work, and you could see the screen images.

Mr_P
01-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Some of the remote controls do not seem to be working -like send full screens and scan files - I will confirm those tomorrow (wed) when I;m looking at 2 catalyst servers

One great work arround I've found for the foh programming scenario is to setup a VNC network... ie VNC connect to the required catalyst from your foh position using either a PC or mac laptop - really easy if they are all networked - or over wireless...

Not reccoended for show use - but great when your programming...

if you go a step further and use artnet, all you need is one cat5 cable from foh to your servers! - (also possible wirelessly....)

I use 'chicken of the VNC' and 'OSXvnc' on a mac - or Ultra VNC on a PC
quite easy to setup... If I can find the links, i'l put them here... Else search google or and Apple website

The best thing about all this is that it is all available legitimately off the web for FREE!!!!!!.....

I'm just about to do a show using all of the above with hog PC as the control interface - will try and write a spec of what I did afterwards if interested....

S

samsc
01-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Some of the remote controls do not seem to be working -like send full screens and scan files - I will confirm those tomorrow (wed) when I;m looking at 2 catalyst servers

One great work arround I've found for the foh programming scenario is to setup a VNC network... ie VNC connect to the required catalyst from your foh position using either a PC or mac laptop - really easy if they are all networked - or over wireless...

Not reccoended for show use - but great when your programming...

if you go a step further and use artnet, all you need is one cat5 cable from foh to your servers! - (also possible wirelessly....)

I use 'chicken of the VNC' and 'OSXvnc' on a mac - or Ultra VNC on a PC
quite easy to setup... If I can find the links, i'l put them here... Else search google or and Apple website

The best thing about all this is that it is all available legitimately off the web for FREE!!!!!!.....

I'm just about to do a show using all of the above with hog PC as the control interface - will try and write a spec of what I did afterwards if interested....

S

did you turn on receive remote commands - its off by default?

next version has a web remote control panel.

emilianomorgia
02-11-2005, 04:15 PM
This is a good Place where you can find a lots good things :

http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

Or

www.google.com/mac

Mr_P
09-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Well - tested the remote functions today - and it all worked well.

However - did experience the menu bar and mouse remeining on the screen when sending a 'go to full screen to all servers message' -upon moving the mouse on the relevant server - and clicking anywhere other than on the menu bar - it disapear.... Possible because I sent the 'full screens' remote command while that particular mac was running catalyst in the background - not foreground (ie had a folder open on the desktop).... So small bug.... but workable...

S