PDA

View Full Version : Catalyst CIB

mbevz
17-10-2005, 02:50 PM
I dont know if this is the right place but it seems like the CIB has been left out everywhere!! Where can I find a manual of this unit? How do I use it? I know all the plug the dmx in here bit but what about the midi in/out and that?

Feel free to email me :D

Cheers

Martin Bevz

samsc
22-10-2005, 12:35 PM
only the dmx input works.

nothing else was ever implemented.

Mr_P
01-11-2005, 05:09 PM
It would be soooooo usefull if the midi worked.......

(add to the list of wishes.....)

S

samsc
01-11-2005, 05:38 PM
it would but there is noone at flying pig left to do anything like this....
and/or continue to support it.

the cib has been obsolete for at least 2 years now.

emilianomorgia
04-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Sorry Mr . B , but why don't you write an application to make the G5 compatible with the hog III ethernet Network ?

a G5 can store and caltulate a lot's of datas !

I'm not sure how the FlyingPig network protocol works , but it must be based on TCP/IP so ... just make the G5 work as a " dp 2000 " , Just put the g5 in the same network and let it store and calculate every things it need to be a part of the hog 3 network .

Using DMX to run a cat it's a waste of resources !!! a G5 and a Hog MUST work with out using a 15 years old technology made to controll DIMMERS !!!!

It's the Cat just a dimmer ???

And if you think that I'm right ... don't think to make this in Version 5 ... Don't wait soo long , just let Austin understand that this is the best way to make the different from the other toy in the Market .

Best regards

Emiliano

Mr_P
05-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Great Idea!

Can you get Artnet out the back of a Hog III???? - cant remember - in which case you can do this already without the need for a CIB...

But... then where do you stop? - Include GrandMA protocol, computlie, Strand, Martin, etc etc

That said - it would be a smart solution. - maybe thats a way of getting thumbnails in to pallets on a Hog III? only take u 5 mins wouldn't it? ;)

S

emilianomorgia
05-01-2006, 04:22 PM
NO artnet output in the hog III . ArtNet need to be calculate by the consolle , Hog III do not calculate the Ql , the dp 2000 do it for the Hog , that's way it's not possible to use Artnet with Hog III , may be one day High End will make a " DP artnet " that will calculate the channels for the hog .

Right now you can controll the catalyst allready with artnet protocol , so it mean that you can run it from a Grand Ma , but you will need to connect the Cib any way ( I think so , not sure ) cuz the License Key it's inside the CIB .

Any way the Hog III protocol it's based on TCP/IP so , if catalyst " simulate " a dp2000 it can be controlled directly by the hog .

I'm sure the G5 have the power to do things like this , I also think that it will take a lots of time to write this application to simulate the dp2000 and also this will be a complete new project from the catalyst application .

probrobly we will need to wait untill high end will ship a " dp artnet " box

PS

Maxzyz do have artnet allready
Grand Ma do have artnet allready
Strand ? do they make light consolle ? :p

Sandals512
05-01-2006, 05:23 PM
The problem with the III talking directly with Catalyst is that with the III the DP's do most of the actual DMX/ fixture control processing. This is so the console doesn't get bogged down with those remedial tasks :p

A DP-Artnet would be a great idea, would simplify things alot, but that's a good suggestion for High-End.

Using a GrandMa is great, I've done 5 servers off of it, and only simply hooked up a switch off the console and ran cat5 to each of the servers, made it very quick and clean.

emilianomorgia
05-01-2006, 11:17 PM
How many Channels can the Grand Ma process ?

What's the Maximun ?

What's the different to run thise channel in artnet or via internal DMX ?

I'm curiuos . I'm sure that the Hog can do more then the MA . MA it's ok , but it doesent fly high like the pig !

Sandals512
06-01-2006, 01:56 AM
The GrandMa has 4 universes onboard, direct DMX out, and another 4 available via artnet, or all 8 via artnet.

Yes the III can do many more

emilianomorgia
06-01-2006, 04:21 AM
;) I like to see pigs fly high in the Sky ! with all love to all the pigs lovers , Pig rules !

jasonrudolph
06-01-2006, 02:19 PM
The GrandMa has 4 universes onboard, direct DMX out, and another 4 available via artnet, or all 8 via artnet.

Yes the III can do many more

That is not actually true. While the board itself can handle 8 universes, you can add on NSP's to get just as many as the III can. I did a show once where we had four consoles in a multiuser environment running 30 universes of DMX. All on GrandMA. The NSPs do exactly what the DP2000s do. In fact, once you get above a certain channel count, the board does no DMX processing, and the NSPs handle it all.

Sandals512
06-01-2006, 03:13 PM
That is not actually true. While the board itself can handle 8 universes, you can add on NSP's to get just as many as the III can. I did a show once where we had four consoles in a multiuser environment running 30 universes of DMX. All on GrandMA. The NSPs do exactly what the DP2000s do. In fact, once you get above a certain channel count, the board does no DMX processing, and the NSPs handle it all.

See I was thinking that in the back of my head ass i typed, bu I wasn't sure. I must have been lapsing back to early versions of the MA

Mr_P
07-01-2006, 06:43 PM
So - in essence....

all we need is a little Mac based app that mimics a DP2000 and spits out artnet - with a little dmx universe patch window in the middle....

Fairly simple program from the artnet end - and doesnt necessarily have to be an integral part of Catalyst, unless you want to get more complex.

...but it does need HES blessing to be able to decode the HogIII output in software without upsetting them...

We should probably have patented this idea too... ah well... HES can just give us all HogIII's as paymnet!....

Sandals512
07-01-2006, 10:05 PM
So - in essence....

all we need is a little Mac based app that mimics a DP2000 and spits out artnet - with a little dmx universe patch window in the middle....

Fairly simple program from the artnet end - and doesnt necessarily have to be an integral part of Catalyst, unless you want to get more complex.

...but it does need HES blessing to be able to decode the HogIII output in software without upsetting them...

We should probably have patented this idea too... ah well... HES can just give us all HogIII's as paymnet!....

thats a decent idea, but that would then lead to having that app open on all of them, possibly creating more work during heavier loads.

I really like the idea of a DP-Artnet node, I think that would be great as it would allow the III to communicate with alot of other artnet devices as well.

Mr_P
08-01-2006, 03:42 PM
thats a decent idea, but that would then lead to having that app open on all of them, possibly creating more work during heavier loads.

Not necessarily - The 'Soft DP200' would only have to work on ONE Mac (or a totally separate one to a catalyst server?.) since it would be decoding and sending to all relevant Artnet universes, and therefore devices, on the same ethernet Artnet network.

Catalyst already has the ability to patch to a specific Artnet DMX universe. So only one instance of the 'Soft DP2000' would have to be running on ONE Server in a network?. I guess the only limitation would be how many DMX universes a DP2000 can decode?. This could be more for a 'soft DP2000'??

I program catalyst shows with a 'spare' server sitting next to me at FOH. I use it as a 'remote control' server. I run catalyst to access its remote functions and the remote preview screens (albeit layers 1-4 - not 5-8!!!) I also use VNC and other network tools to communicate with servers, over ethernet, at remote backstage locations. The last show I set up had no keyboards, mice or monitors in the servers? we just used VNC to access the servers when necessary and a Chronosync to update the content from the FOH server?.

My point is: On shows where you would need this level of technology, you would probably have a decent network environment set-up. Therefore - running the 'soft DP2000' application on the FOH server would be a viable option. (in this scenario)

SO you wouldn?t have to run it on all Catalyst Servers - which would save processing? For simpler shows - you probably wouldn?t be using a HogIII anyway??!! Even then - a few universes on 2 servers probably wouldn?t add much to the overall system strain with an app running on one server...

Sandals512
08-01-2006, 10:00 PM
ah ha... I didn't think about it like that. I personally use a Mac mini as my FOH server, with VNC, and do the same as you described, so that would actualy be a smart way to do it.
i've never used chronosync, but that looks like a great tool, I think i'm going to download it now.
In your thinking (which is where I wasn't) that is a magnificent idea. Especially since I've now started bringing my G5 with me for content changes, I could simply run it on that FOH.

question: how fast does chronosync work when running 4 servers? decent?

Mr_P
09-01-2006, 12:34 PM
chronosync is great - its as fast as your network... I use a Gigabit switch to connect everything, so theoretically faster than Firewire800??.

Obviously the first copy will be slow - but subsequent ones only update the changed content. It works by looking at either creation date, size, etc - quite a few configurable options. However, it doesnt always work if you replace a file with an 'older' version - which doesnt happen often.

Lots of options to set if reqd, depending upon your configuration. I set the scheduler to update every 10 mins. However, you can manually overide. Also set it only in one direction. So FOH becomes the master - all the others are an exact copy.

Obviously - remember to do a 'quick scan files' from you FOH Mac - or you wont see any updated content!

The software is fairly intuative and has good 'help' - but feel free to ask if u cant figure it out.

Thanks for the complements - hope it may be possible to create the 'soft DP2000' soon!!.....