PDA

View Full Version : PixelMAD on Vista

glynod
05-10-2005, 11:31 AM
I am using a Jands Vista and trying to connect to PixelMAD via Artnet directly from the Vista. I am anable to make this happen directly with a crossover but it is achievable using an EtherLynx box. However I do have to cheat and connect a DMX output to a DMX input on the Etherlynx with a short DMX link to make this work.

If I poll the system from my Vista, the PixelMAD input does not pop up like an Artnet port. Is this virtual port feature something that could get included in PixelMAD?

We are about to launch a LED product that will accept Artnet directly and consequently we do not need any Etherlynx type boxes for PixelMAD output. It would be elegent to be able to talk directly to PixelMAD from a console without any DMX hardware.

Thanks,

glynod
06-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Update...

I did manage to get the Vista (Jands console) to talk to PixelMAD directly but I had to cheat to do it: Firstly I put a Windows laptop on the network with the DMX workshop software from Artistic Licence and managed to get to pretend to be a port and got the Vista console to talk to that. Then I set the PixelMad Mac to have the same IP as the Windows computer and swapped them over. The PixelMAD system will not recognise the Vista (or Artistic software) as a valid Artnet device but it is showing data in the DMX window and it works!!

It would seem that the PixelMAD is not responding to a Poll from a console. I understand that as Server it used to be optional, however Wayne at Artistic tells me that it is now a mandatory part of the recently revised protocol specifically to address this situation when something is a combined server and node.

samsc
12-10-2005, 03:03 PM
sorry for not replying sooner, i had my head in a bucket finishing software.

pixelmad doesnt respond to network poll requests for ID over artnet, at the moment, it just acts like a dumb dmx endpoint.

it is possible your desk requires some network acknowledgement to make this happen directly.

we could have a quick look at this. i didnt have any desks to test this with, and i didnt want to add anything without testing.

there is no problem with getting rid of the etherlynx box and talking directly.
the grandma supports this.

samsc
12-10-2005, 04:48 PM
i just remembered why i didnt do anything with artnet polling - its function doesnt fit what pixelmad does.

it fits a hardware device that is at a single ip address and has the ability to input and output up to 4 universes.

pixelmad does not fit this - pixelmad can accept any universe input at a single ip address. there is no limit to the way you can patch the inputs to layers. and can have up to 30 or more dmx outputs from a single ip address.

This doesnt fit the artnet 'standard' poll reply.

samsc
10-11-2005, 02:35 PM
i made the latest build nov05 -respond to artnet polling in a way that the vista needs.

i do not know whether this will affect any other desks.