PDA

View Full Version : 3D objects and transparancy 2 layer

mclean
09-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Three things that I would love to be able to do,

1. Put a DHA gobo (BW clip) on layer 3 for example, white masks layer 2 and black masks layer 1.

2. transparency of layer set by CMY mix levels i.e. magenta + cyan at full = all blue is transparent.

3. Add to the teapot, cube, and sphere objects. Is there some way that simple 3DS shpes (or similar objects) library could be added?

thanks.

samsc
09-06-2005, 01:12 PM
1. Put a DHA gobo (BW clip) on layer 3 for example, white masks layer 2 and black masks layer 1.

and you dont want the gobo itself to be visible?

this is similiar to the gradient wipe that premiere used to do.
intermediate values between black and wipe - would set the mix between the layers ?

this would have to be a visual fx that outputted its image on layer 3.
param fx1 and fx2 would have to select the input layer.

2. transparency of layer set by CMY mix levels i.e. magenta + cyan at full = all blue is transparent.

how would you use this?

3. Add to the teapot, cube, and sphere objects. Is there some way that simple 3DS shpes (or similar objects) library could be added?
thanks.

pixelmad loads 3d .obj files.
the problem is that creating and rendering 3d image on the fly - for what people expect 3d to be capable of - in general - exceeds the real-time capabilities of computers.
and you start to need a lot more parameters - if you want to give any flexibility.
3d files need a lot of support.

mclean
09-06-2005, 05:59 PM
1. Exactly!

I often find the DHA stuff useful. I like moving image behind gobo, but often want to be able to add a subtle moving texture to the gobo itself. And of course then what you are talking about it serious masking. Fancy doing that with a BW moving image gobo & the appropriate footage...expecially if you have the facilities of AVID, Combustion, After Effects...

I'm no software architect, so I don't know squat, but thats the idea.
Thresholds? Option 1 might be plain B/W, then other options might include the facilty to sweep between the 16 shades between layer X and Y to provide some flexibility in the event that the image is greyscale?

All I really need now is option 1...

2. Lets assume the Union Jack layer 2 and video layer one.
I wheel CMY to red (I suppose that there would have to be a certain Q range decided upon), to reveal the video underneath that -cue one.

blue to reveal in underneath - cue two.

and so on...

3. I see this as being able to do a straight forward gobo swap in a moving head - something some do but many never do.
I guess that sphere, cube and Tpot are all 3d obects?

Well perhaps today I want a pyramid, a torus and a cone, or the company logo ... but within Catalyst
I know what you mean that working with 3d objects on the fly is a 'no go' at this time, but what about the facility extrude and export that company logo in AutoCAD or whatever so that I can run video on it?

No doubt there is a threshold as to how complex these objects might be, but when you look at what is possible with Ulead Cool 3D for example when importing 3DS in this respect, it don't arf makes you want it missus!