PDA

View Full Version : SAMSC and Edje Brain dump

timgrivas
24-04-2005, 03:47 AM
The edje units are now being controlled by SAMSC D25 via Ethernet.

Before you start setting up the edje units you will need to make a new network location on your mac and set it to manual. enter the ip of 192.168.10.1 and set the mask to 255.255.255.0

Now you can start setting up the the edje units.

The first thing you need to do is log onto each edje unit and change the IP address. The default is 192.168.10.48 username is ADTEC and password is NONE. Here are some other ips you can use if you are following this word for word.. the second unit can be 192.168.10.49 and the 3rd unit can be 192.168.10.50. You will need to use a network switch if you have more then one edje unit. You will use Apple's ?terminal? application located in the utilities folder to communicate to the units. You will talk to the units in ?telnet?. You will need to log on, change the ip , do the save command and then log off. You can test your communication via an FTP application such as fetch. Fetch and Sam can run at the same time. Terminal and sam can not. I suggest cycling power on the edje unit to confirm your save command took. Also you will need to telnet into the master to tell it is the master and go into the slave and tell it is the slave. A full list of telnet commands are available at the adtecinc website.
I can email you a screen capture of one of these communications so you can get an idea if you send me your email address.

You have the ability from samsc to do play, stop and a goto command. In my case I only need to speak to the master. The slave unit is slaving to the master so I am not sending commands from samsc to it. I did have some problems with samsc seeing more then one unit. That may be because Bleasy only has one to test with at this time. The sync and frame to frame accuracy is perfect. If you do a goto command then the slave does not go to that frame and ff you send a play command then the slave will start playing. Be aware that it takes about 2.5 sec for the slave to get back in sync but once it is in sync it locks. If you start from the top of a clip it locks immediately. Adtec says that an index or goto command was never intended for show cue so they will not make this part any better,,, and it is ok for me since the show starts from the top every time. Since the master is the one that has the time code on it the rest of the gear pops right along. Using goto command are helpful when programming large shows with many devices. You can go to any point in the show and start from there. A necessity for programming.

The Adtecs do not slave to anything besides other adtecs or Adtecs own software so if you use these drives they have to be master for the entire show. What we did was stripe SMPTE to one of the audio tracks and that is sent into a midisport 8x8 which then converts it to midi time code for the rest for the gear (PIGI projectors, Lighting console, Hard disk audio (12 channels of speakers) and samsc. Samsc starts the drives and then with another sam sequence tracks the timecode via usb from the 8x8. This sequence is used for triggeting the dousers for the Christie projectors and the litghing cues. This works great. Bleasy says that he can see the internal time code of the edje units so maybe soon we can use that time code instead of striping SMPTE which is a pain. FYI. I have an AIFF file of 29.97DF of A RUN TIME OF 35 MINUTES IF ANYONE NEEDS THAT. I can send it?. Sorry for the caps? too tired to fix it..

If you plan to do goto commands or you have slaved edje units your video file must be a constant bit rate. When making your file for the edje you will need to export it as constant bit rate. Once you are done you should have two files with the same name but different extensions. Now you will need to mutiplex them into one file .MPG. The extension must be in caps in order for the edje units to recognize it. The application you will use to do this is?
?MPEG Stream clip? which can be downloaded from versiontracker.com.
More on this later. It is free! You must have the extension mentioned below in order to use this app.

Once you have the files multiplexed then you will ftp up to the edje units. The edje 1015 has a dvd drive so you could get it into that but you still need to distribute to the other units. I suggest you ftp up to them and go get some beers.. it is slow?

One last thing. You need to go to the apple site and download the MPEG Player quicktime extension. You go to the apple store and do a search for MPEG Player. This will cost 19.00us. You need this to test and view your file prior to uploading to the edje units.

added info------

The Edje units have Lists on each unit. These lists help them know what is on the units.
When managing content on the units you also need to manage the Lists in order for everything to work well.
Once your content is on the drive then via Telnet..

----Log on to the unit,

Telnet 192.168.10.48 (for example)

* LST clear

* LST add ?filename?

* LST save

-----
This has to be done on each unit. Each file will need to be added one at a time. Don?t forget to save

Feel free to fire questions if you have them..

"Kick It!"
tg

hooh
25-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks a lot for this howto !
Stefan

samsc
25-04-2005, 12:21 PM
edje playback control is in d27