PDA

View Full Version : video from SAMCS

tonytche
18-03-2005, 06:28 PM
I founded a message about controling video via ethernet here - some time ago i used g3 ibook as master and g5 2x2 as slave for video and it was so stange that video from the slave lagged up to 20-25 frames - it was sychronized in preview window, but not on the screens. I used the same "canopus dv converter" to convert video from firewire port and the same video projectors. So do You have any ideas - why it was lagged?

samsc
18-03-2005, 07:00 PM
I founded a message about controling video via ethernet here - some time ago i used g3 ibook as master and g5 2x2 as slave for video and it was so stange that video from the slave lagged up to 20-25 frames - it was sychronized in preview window, but not on the screens. I used the same "canopus dv converter" to convert video from firewire port and the same video projectors. So do You have any ideas - why it was lagged?

Which software?

What do you mean lagged?

---

If this is SAMSC, then you probably didnt pre-roll your movies or load them before playing them.

Quicktime takes some time to load a movie from scratch?

How did you load your movie?

samsc
18-03-2005, 07:12 PM
stange that video from the slave lagged up to 20-25 frames - it was sychronized in preview window, but not on the screens. I used the same "canopus dv converter" to convert video from firewire port and the same video projectors. So do You have any ideas - why it was lagged?

OK Im reading this again..
On the screens it was ok, but when converted through firewire - it didnt work.

I have no idea about that.
Must be something inside the 'dv converter'. - ( or possibly quicktime buffering )

Was it always the same delay?

tonytche
18-03-2005, 07:47 PM
first of all, it's great to hear from you so soon.
it's my bad enlish! :))) - not lagged, but delay!!!!
i don't think that the problem is in "DV-Convertor" - i replaced them several times and no effects. My idea is that it's better to use the same copms (some time ago i had a talk with e/t/c-pigi about "only-view" software and thay highly recomended to use identical(!) copms), but i just my opinion.
and more questions - how to get "save code" and how can i control the lighting deck from SAMSC 5.22 (there are no lighting decks in setup devices)

samsc
18-03-2005, 09:03 PM
first of all, it's great to hear from you so soon.
it's my bad enlish! :))) - not lagged, but delay!!!!
i don't think that the problem is in "DV-Convertor" - i replaced them several times and no effects. My idea is that it's better to use the same copms (some time ago i had a talk with e/t/c-pigi about "only-view" software and thay highly recomended to use identical(!) copms), but i just my opinion.
and more questions - how to get "save code" and how can i control the lighting deck from SAMSC 5.22 (there are no lighting decks in setup devices)

possible that quicktime is adding a delay.

BUT there is one more possibility - did you use the DV codec to encode your movie???

Bosco
21-03-2005, 05:29 PM
I read that the Canopus does introduce a delay when converting from DV to analog. Someone worked out the delay but I can't remember what it was or where I saw it.

I use the ADVC 100 myself but haven't noticed the delay as I output to screens triggered by midi and don't reference it to any timecode. I just eyeball it to the music.

samsc
21-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks very much.

--

You also have to make sure you use the dv-pal codec for movie files for PAL output over firewire - and dv-ntsc codec to make video for NTSC output over firewire.

If you dont Quicktime actually attempts to convert the files live - but this doesnt always work at all well, and causes crashes.