PDA

View Full Version : Hog 3 position resolution

samsc
04-03-2005, 03:05 PM
There is possibility that when Catalyst is used in conjunction with the Hog3 only 12 bits of accuracy are available with xy position.
this is in the hog profile, not my software.

I might have to do my own profile which is extra sensitive for hog3.

Anyone else seen this?

I have seen this reported a couple of times

Vickie_C
08-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Richard,
I'm doing testing on Catv4 with the HOg3 and I'm seeing the DMX values on X & Y pos advanced in increments of 2, ie. going from 1 to 3 to 5 to 7, etc

samsc
08-03-2006, 10:25 PM
that would mean they didnt fix it properly.

if this is the case it still isnt a full 16 bit value.

samsc
08-03-2006, 11:37 PM
i have sent an email to steve, the hog library guy to see if he has an answer.

Vickie_C
09-03-2006, 07:01 AM
no worries Richard, I've also alerted Steve to this issue

totally changing the subject here, but how does the new Colored Square Visual effects work in Catv4? I can see it on my output window with Separate with FX, but on my output set to Mix all layers, I can't see it, so I'm not sure it's enabled or I'm using it right.

thanks!
Vickie

ps. you never have answered my question I posted recently about why there were so many screen resolutions and HZ choices in Catv3.3? I like the catv4 method of setting the playback FPS and having the program automatically match the resolution and frequency.. nice job!

Steve
09-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Is full 16bit resolution required for the X and Y positioning channels?

From my testing with Catalyst v3 (can't remember the specific version) the output changed for every 4th DMX value on these channels so 16bit resolution was not required.

The current v3 library I believe supports a resolution which meets and exceeds the minimum resolution required.

If something has changed and v4 (or indeed v3) requires a finer/higher resolution for these channels I can look into addressing this.

Can you confirm that the output does indeed change for evey DMX value with Catalyst v4?

Thanks,

Steve

samsc
09-03-2006, 01:29 PM
it does need full 16 bit accuracy for the position information.

it has subpixel scaling - which is important when images are zoomed in.

when you zoom in 2 or 3 times you need the full accuracy.

people zoom in this far - and sometimes more.

also with pixel type fixtures - full resolution position is important.

all other 16bit channels such as scale, in point and outpoints, also require full 16 bit accuracy.

thanks

Steve
09-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks Richard,

I'll look to get this corrected to allow full 16bit accuracy.

Certainly, Inframe and Outframe now do allow for full 16bit accuracy which was the main issue previously.

Thanks,

Steve

samsc
09-03-2006, 02:48 PM
thanks.

this has become much more critical with low-resolution video fixtures.

people need single or less than single pixel accuracy in these applications under many more situations.