PDA

View Full Version : Reduced DMX channels

jasonrudolph
01-03-2005, 02:50 PM
On the last show I was doing, I thought of something. If there was a way to run the layers as 32 channels instead of 40 channels, then you could fit two whole 8-layer servers on one DMX universe. So, Could there be a way that we could lose the keystone channels f we don't need them? In most of my applications, it's either straight-on projection or out to plasmas or LED walls, etc and I really dont need it that often.
In my last show I had 5 servers running, so I had to reduce two of them to 6 layers in order to make it all fit.

Thanks,
Jason

samsc
01-03-2005, 02:54 PM
the keystone channels are only active in a couple of modes -so you can safely ignore them - they are unused at present - unless the keystoning visual fx or some masking visual fx are in use

i cannot think of any reason you could not reduce the channels count to 32. i cant think any reason it wouldnt work

rosswill
01-03-2005, 09:03 PM
I did this for a show last year. I created a new "catalyst-lite" definition with keystone etc missing for all the layers I did not need it with. Worked perfectly all series.

samsc
01-03-2005, 09:51 PM
i could create a reduced dmx spec set of menu items - which actually ignores the keystone channels- so they are never a problem

jasonrudolph
02-03-2005, 12:39 AM
i could create a reduced dmx spec set of menu items - which actually ignores the keystone channels- so they are never a problem

That would be great! Think you might be able to do this by the beginning of april?

samsc
02-03-2005, 06:03 AM
That would be great! Think you might be able to do this by the beginning of april?

no release for april is planned, you could just try and do it anyway?
you can do it without me doing anything

jasonrudolph
05-04-2005, 03:44 PM
doing the show now, and its working perfectly.