PDA

View Full Version : plugging or unplugging monitors

samsc
21-10-2004, 11:25 PM
Almost all versions up to g21.

Plugging or unplugging a dvi monitor with catalyst or pixelmad running causes a crash.

RobF
27-10-2004, 01:08 PM
I have one of these on order.

Would certainly get around this bug and help with system integration generally.

It tricks the computer into thinking the monitor is still connected by duplicating the EDID signature of the monitor and continuing to send it.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1378

Rob

samsc
27-10-2004, 04:18 PM
I have one of these on order.

Would certainly get around this bug and help with system integration generally.

It tricks the computer into thinking the monitor is still connected by duplicating the EDID signature of the monitor and continuing to send it.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1378

Rob

tricking the computer with dvi connections seems to be quite important with the range of gear this stuff gets connected to.

R

RobF
27-10-2004, 04:28 PM
It certainly sounds a bit more refined than plugging in a monitor, disabling hot-pugging in Radeon Utilities and then whipping the cable into your proposed output device!

samsc
27-10-2004, 04:49 PM
did you figure out what went on with your extron box on xfactor?

it seemed to be causing quite a few problems?

RobF
27-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Well the Mipix DVI units were not damaged by the Extron but we were unable to connect the D320 units to the Mac via the Extron or indeed to the Mac directly.

The system is now running from a Folsom Image Pro HD unit which is running nicely.

Would have been interesting to see if tricking the G5 into thinking it was still connected to a monitor with the DVI Detective would have got a signal into the D320.

I don't think the D320 modules return EDID info in a way that the Mac associates with having a monitor connected.

When we have another Versa-drive I'm going to test the Extron again.

I don't want to point the finger (certainly not in print!) at any piece of equipment until I can test things properly and establish which element of the system was causing problems.

I'm pretty confident the bad DVI output on the Radeon card was the initial cause of the confusion but it doesn't explain why the Mipix D320 modules would not see the G5 or the G4 powerbook or why the Versa-drives stopped seeing the DVI later in the afternoon.

The Folsom is now converting the DVI to SDI for the MIPIX and we are planning to run the Versa-drives off the DVI loop through and the monitor from its VGA output.

samsc
27-10-2004, 06:43 PM
the bottom line for those reading this stuff is...

dvi connections can be a bit too smart for their own good.
and sometimes things that try to be too clever dont work at all when faced with new or untested circumstances....