PDA

View Full Version : Which capture cards have the best performance?

RobF
30-09-2004, 05:59 PM
We have been using the Miglia Alchemy card (composite) but I do not have any other cards in the office to compare it to at the moment.

We are considering the Decklink Extreme.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this and the other cards in the Decklink and Aurora ranges?

Do any cards show better latency performance?

The images captured by the Miglia are very good (especially considering its cost) but would the Decklink be better?

I know most users are using SDI input cards but some of our users have a continuing need for composite input.

Having both options on the extreme makes sense.

Martin
30-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Hi Rob.

The Declink standard only gives you SDI, but it works. Blackmagic has a problem with interference in their monster cables for the Extreme and Pro cards, when using long SDI runs. Miglia card works well.
If you invest in both cards (wich is cheaper than the extreme) you have the option of switching between them in Catalyst. You cannot use more than one input at the time on the Decklink Extreme.
Our machines have both and we are happy!

Spam Butterfly
01-10-2004, 03:56 PM
It's horses for courses. For general video stuff I'd put in a Decklink Extreme. However, Martin correctly points out, there is some impedance mismatching on the SDI input. This effects long SDI runs. This can be fixed by putting an SDI DA before the video input, which will reclock the SDI.

If you are only going to use SDI, then either the bog standard Decklink or an Aurora Pipe SDI are your cards of choice. You can use them both together for dual SDI video input. The other advantage is that both cards have deck control, so if you need to control RS422 devices, this is fairly effortless.
Hugh

RobF
01-10-2004, 06:31 PM
"If you invest in both cards (wich is cheaper than the extreme)"

Is the quality of the composite input on the Extreme any better than the Miglia?

If not then this certainly sounds like a good option!

samsc
14-10-2004, 08:41 AM
the question is whether a normal person will detect the difference in a way which will affect their enjoyment or experience of whatever they are watching.

otherwise - it more an issue of what you have to connect to.
if you are working in a professional environment with sdi, then you will want an sdi input.

If you arent using and investing in sdi, there the analogue cards seem ok to me. the low cost cards seem fine.
but i havent checked in a critical application.

with video input spending more money doesnt necessarily get you a 'better' image - with the current crop of cards.

i mean there is obviously a difference between a composite and an sdi source in technical quality.

im a fan of low-tech imagery. i like watching super-8 expermental films - i like the image when its distorted.

i dont like things to be too clean.
ultimately the decisions are expressive decisions.