PDA

View Full Version : Decklink SDI Trouble

jasonrudolph
30-09-2004, 02:28 AM
I just finished doing a 5 server show. Two of the servers had Decklink PRO cards installed using 10 bit SD-SDI inputs. Both servers were identical when it came to hardware configurations, and both were outputting to the same exact model of projector. Both machines had the same feed from the truck, but for some reason, one of the machines had a 1-3 second lag behind the switcher in the truck. The engineer in the truck tried swapping the two outputs, and the problem remained with the same server. And ideas as to what could have caused this?

Jason Rudolph
Univision Network

samsc
30-09-2004, 09:04 AM
Where did you get your servers from?

Highend purchases?

When did you get them?
Are they rental stock?

Can you get the serial numbers from all the servers for me?
This is the number that begins
1035E2-...
The serial number is in the install/Register dialog - and tells me about the type of machine you were using, and its OS.

Hugh is investigating a possibility that highend shipped some machines with defective system disc installations.

jasonrudolph
30-09-2004, 03:50 PM
They were rental machines from PRG/VLPS I'll see if I can get serial numbers from you, but I'm not sure exactly what machine was having the problem, as the four are already back at PRG, and I don't know which specific unit had the problem.

Jason Rudolph

samsc
14-10-2004, 09:56 PM
hugh seems to think, that there were some strange installs on some shipped systems.

he didnt have a way to find which ones were not correct.

litemover
21-10-2004, 08:41 AM
There definitaley are strange installs. Some machines outperform others by a noticeable difference.

I saw this on my last show when I turned sync off.

Christian

samsc
21-10-2004, 11:23 PM
a lot depends on how you set up monitors.

refresh rates must be set to the same.
and you must do this without catalyst running.

there might also be scsi termination problems that cause mismatches in drive performance if using scsi.

jasonrudolph
22-10-2004, 12:59 AM
a lot depends on how you set up monitors.

refresh rates must be set to the same.
and you must do this without catalyst running.

Good to know. Although I am pretty certain that I had done this, it is another one of those important tidbits that is handy to know. Thanks again

samsc
22-10-2004, 01:09 PM
another thing you need to do is goto the 'Energy saver' preferences, and ensure that the processor performance is set to Highest

litemover
25-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I always reinstall any rented machine's Decklink drivers to the newest ones and make it a priority to get signal asap instead of the last minute. I've done too many gigs where the SDI input is the last thing checked and have paniked too many times to leave it for last.

It's inevetible that a problem will arrise when dealing with a video crew sending you SDI at the last minute.

Christian