PDA

View Full Version : PixelMad with moving heads...

RobF
06-06-2004, 11:57 AM
...is pretty simple!

Did a demo last week using Pixel-Lines and Ayrton Eyecolor moving head head LED fixtures.

The Eyecolor is a 10-channel 16 bit mover with an LED "eye".

They were addressed on the fixtures as 1, 11, 21 etc.

The colour is controlled as RGB on channels 5,6 and 7.

I patched them in PixelMad as single RGB fixtures placed in the DMX preview in position between the Pixel-lines which were arrayed on a grid of truss.

On PixleMad I had Outputs 1 and 2 patched full with 9 Pixel-lines in 54 channel mode.

Output 3 had the 10 Eyecolors.

They were patched at 5, 15, 25 etc. leaving gaps for the DMX movement.

My DMX control came from a Hog with the PixelMad layers on universe 1 and the Eyecolors patched in normal 10 channel mode on output 2.

I fed the DMX ouput 1 from the hog into Input A on the Ether-Lynx box as per normal.

This Input was set to universe 9 to avoid conflicting with any of the possible 8 outputs of the PixelMad version I was using (PixelMad 4).

I fed the second universe from the Hog into Input B of the etherlynx.

I set this to input 3.

Because the Ether-lynx processes inputs with the same address as an (HTP) (highest takes precedence) merge the effect was to combine the colour info from PixelMad output C with the colour and movement info coming from the desks output 2.

If I set the desk control of colour for the eyecolors to zero all the control would come from PixelMad giving me the freedom to control all the LEDs in the rig from one piece of video.

Similarly for some looks I could black out PixelMad and control the colour in a normal "by channel" way from the desk.

Most pleasing of all this required no extra equipment on top of the normal PixeMad setup of DMX desk, Macintosh, software and Artistic License Ether-lynx box.

Rob Fowler

Projected Image Digital

samsc
06-06-2004, 05:09 PM
can you draw a diagram showing how you connected it all up?

RobF
08-06-2004, 12:21 PM
Picture as requested.

Rob

samsc
08-06-2004, 05:42 PM
Rob is showing that use can use the etherlynx box to do an http merge between pixelmad output and lighting console output.

So you can drive the led or other fixtures from pixelmad and a lighting console at the same time.

RobF
08-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Yes,

The application need not be restricted to moving lights.

It was useful on this gig to control the colours of the Ayrton's LEDs both from PixelMad and direct from the desk by channel.

This could be useful in may gigs where you want this flexibility with say Pixellines or chroma-banks etc....

samsc
08-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Yes,

The application need not be restricted to moving lights.

It was useful on this gig to control the colours of the Ayrton's LEDs both from PixelMad and direct from the desk by channel.

This could be useful in may gigs where you want this flexibility with say Pixellines or chroma-banks etc....

where you want to run the pixelines from the desk and pixelmad at the same time...

bswinnen
28-06-2005, 12:55 AM
Nice to hear that you're using the combination of desk control and pixel control for the units. that's exactly why we have the oportunity to set our Node's outputs to merge 2 different ArtNet sources (PixelMad and desk) in either HTP or LTP mode. In LTP mode you can even take control with the desk to flash different colours when you have a still image. With LTP you don't need to bring the PixelMad colours to zero to do this.
Have a look at our Node's app note it shows a similar setup (maybe not mentioning the right pixel software;).

Ethernet - DMX8 Application note (http://www.luminex.be/product_info/Ethernet-DMX8/docs%20and%20press/AN_Ethdmx8_ConfigurationSetup.pdf)