PDA

View Full Version : reduce&go/ play once&don't jump

Sven
23-05-2004, 07:58 PM
For a touring and repping show it would be useful to me to have an option to reduce the clip library/folders to just the folders/clips actually used by the show. I am thinking of having the option of specifying a destination directory to which only files actually reffered to by the show can be saved. Then I can burn all the files/folders on a dvd or portable harddrive and restore it should a harddisk disintegrate etc. AE does this quite well but I supppose in Catalyst's case this requires some sort of dmx feedback from the console...
Also I have been using more and more clips which have a narrative structure (rather than loops), which requires them to stop playing on the last frame. The 'play once' option jumps back to the first frame which can be distracting. There are workarounds, but I would prefer a play once and stop on last frame option, if possible.

best,
Sven

litemover
23-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Bump,

I aggre about play once should stop on last frame, I thought that was already fixed is it not?

This applies to things such as explosions, susets, moonrisings, and pieces that you would like to just happen then stop on the last fram and sit there static.

The workaround I've been using has been to create a stop cue, but that only works on a linear cuelist and doesn't lend itself to single fader cueing where you want to store a group of single play elements on a bunch of faders.

I'll check to see if it is fixed, for some reason I thought Richard fixed it.

Christian

samsc
27-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Also I have been using more and more clips which have a narrative structure (rather than loops), which requires them to stop playing on the last frame. The 'play once' option jumps back to the first frame which can be distracting. There are workarounds, but I would prefer a play once and stop on last frame option, if possible.

best,
Sven

I dont remember this ever being reported.

RGMdddd
28-05-2004, 04:04 AM
By specifying a true end frame (as opposed to simply leaving the default) your MOV file will indeed stop at the correct place. The 64,000+ frame causes the file to jump back to the beginning frame as it seems to be unable to find a frame at that high number.

litemover
28-05-2004, 06:09 AM
By specifying a true end frame (as opposed to simply leaving the default) your MOV file will indeed stop at the correct place. The 64,000+ frame causes the file to jump back to the beginning frame as it seems to be unable to find a frame at that high number.

It would be great if the play once mode would automatically do this for you. Trimming files accurately and quickly requires bringing up the HUD or looking at the GUI. A proccess that you can't do too much while rehearsing without directors or people freaking out about what is going on on the screen.

Christian

litemover
28-05-2004, 06:17 AM
I dont remember this ever being reported.

Richard,

I reported it to you before this forum was up in an e-mail dated 2-29-04 titled "Catalyst V3.2_4_f13 Report Show Premio Lo Nuestra"

Here are my playmode notes from that show and version.
---------------------------------------------------
Playmodes:

Playmode >int0 works great at normal speed. Anytime you reduce the speed, the layers that are synced to the master layer stop and studder. I think that anything in this playmode that is reduced speed, studders and stops but I don't remember if it was only synced layers.

Reverse play modes do strange things and I can't get them to work without going through a myriad of steps with in and outframes in preceding cues. The content just seems to freeze after a while. Would be great to be able to put a clip in rev playmode and have it play backwards on the fly if need be.

Playmode once is playing videos once then going right to frame 1. If this is your intent for this playmode, then a playmode that would play through and hold on the last frame such as playmode hold would be very useful.

-----------
I thought you had fixed it but I'll double check tomorrow.

Christian

samsc
28-05-2004, 12:47 PM
Reverse play modes do strange things and I can't get them to work without going through a myriad of steps with in and outframes in preceding cues. The content just seems to freeze after a while. Would be great to be able to put a clip in rev playmode and have it play backwards on the fly if need be.

Playmode once is playing videos once then going right to frame 1. If this is your intent for this playmode, then a playmode that would play through and hold on the last frame such as playmode hold would be very useful.
Christian

The sync issue was a design problem.

The playmode reverse was fixed in d17 or thereabouts.
Playmode once doesnt goto frame 1 when i operate in manual mode.
Maybe people arent setting the outframe value - and just leaving it at zero?

OK.

Maybe - If you set playonce forward - you need to set a non-zero outframe.

samsc
28-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Maybe - If you set playonce forward - you need to set a non-zero outframe.

i think i know what the problem might be.

What did you set your in ans out frame values to?

samsc
29-05-2004, 06:24 PM

my inpoint frames and outpoint frames work in a slightly funky manner- which is probably the source of this confusion too.

I allow illegal inpoints and outpoints to do something.

For example in a 100 frame movie---

if you set the inpoint to 300 and the outpoint to 400 -- something will loop -- even though the inpoint and outpoint value are beyond the end of the loop.

in a 100 frame movie--
frame 0 can be accessed at inpoint value 100, 200, 300, 400, 500..... all the way up.

this has caused a lot of people confusion.
my reasoning was - to always make something happen....whatever the settings.

RGMdddd
31-05-2004, 02:04 AM
My vote would be for consistency and predictable behaviour rather than trying to save users from themselves. If I am trying to teach a concept to someone, a rule is much easier to learn than a rule with an exception is.

One man's opinion

samsc
31-05-2004, 01:05 PM
My vote would be for consistency and predictable behaviour rather than trying to save users from themselves. If I am trying to teach a concept to someone, a rule is much easier to learn than a rule with an exception is.

One man's opinion
there are both exceptions and rules in this case.

litemover
01-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Does this mean that play once forward will seek out the last frame ond play one forward and stop at that frame autimatically, or will we have to jump in and out of hud mode to find the frame and set it?

IMHO, I vote for the easiest way which is to play once without it flipping back to the last frame, without having to go through the steps of setting out points, otherwise you might as well always play forward then build a stop cue to stop the video at the end. A mode that plays once based on in and out points would be good too, but as a separate mode.

Just my 2c.

CC

samsc
01-06-2004, 03:57 PM
Does this mean that play once forward will seek out the last frame ond play one forward and stop at that frame autimatically, or will we have to jump in and out of hud mode to find the frame and set it?

IMHO, I vote for the easiest way which is to play once without it flipping back to the last frame, without having to go through the steps of setting out points, otherwise you might as well always play forward then build a stop cue to stop the video at the end. A mode that plays once based on in and out points would be good too, but as a separate mode.

Just my 2c.

CC

i should probably make this so that if the outframe is 0 it plays to the last frame of the movie then stops.

I think if you set the outframe to 0 - at the moment - it jumps to frame 0 at the end of the loop.

RGMdddd
04-06-2004, 07:13 PM
i should probably make this so that if the outframe is 0 it plays to the last frame of the movie then stops.

I think if you set the outframe to 0 - at the moment - it jumps to frame 0 at the end of the loop.

This seems like a logical solution to me. Now we just have to get all the console manufacturers to change their library files.

samsc
04-06-2004, 07:16 PM
this isnt in the library file, its just a usage issue. -

no changes other than the new f28 playmodes needed.