PDA

View Full Version : Sound and sync

Improve
28-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Hello,

I was playing around the V3 software lately after a show with two DL1's and two servers. I just got my hand on a manual for the V3 right after this show. Then I found out that movies can be sync'd even from two servers. I also found out that you can select a playmode with audio. But you can't sync from a movie wich is played with audio. Is there a way around this or will this be possible in the future.

samsc
30-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Hello,

I was playing around the V3 software lately after a show with two DL1's and two servers. I just got my hand on a manual for the V3 right after this show. Then I found out that movies can be sync'd even from two servers. I also found out that you can select a playmode with audio. But you can't sync from a movie wich is played with audio. Is there a way around this or will this be possible in the future.

You dont need to sync different computers together, because they playback accurately at 25fps or 30fps - unless the drives have to do too much.
Software is designed for accurate playback of movies - as long as your drives are fast enough.

Im at eurovision in istanbul + turkey + and we have 8 ( eight ) g5s outputting onto a single huge seemless video wall..
And there is only a very tiny difference between movies.
movies playback at the correct time - not using the 'sync' function.
But we may have to use it with certain movies where image continuity is critical.
You really would notice it in this type of environment.

----

Audio - in the professional environments that this software is used in - is a huge can of worms - that i have addressed before.
It is something i have been doing for years in my show control stuff, i do not feel comfortable having high end support one more feature right now.

---
If you want to sync to a professional audio source such as yamaha or other hard disc playback units then you use the midi time code sync function that is in catalyst.
I have used this on shows.

AFISCHER
01-05-2004, 07:09 PM
I HAVE IMPLEMENTED A SOLUTION FOR LOBBY OF A THE CINEMA. WE INSTALL 2 COMPUTERS. ONE PC with CUBASE and HOG PC that Communicate FOR MTC and for DMX a CATALYST Controls V3 and a DL 1. THE IDEA IS TO PROJECT TRAILERS OF MOVIES IN 3 SCREEN. THE SOUND THIS IN THE PC AND THE VIDEO IN MAC. EVERYTHING WORKS VERY WELL BUT THE AUDIO ONE NOT THIS IN SYNC WITH THE VIDEO. THAT I CAN MAKE TO CORRECT THIS?
SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH
GRACIAS
A

samsc
01-05-2004, 09:21 PM
I HAVE IMPLEMENTED A SOLUTION FOR LOBBY OF A THE CINEMA. WE INSTALL 2 COMPUTERS. ONE PC with CUBASE and HOG PC that Communicate FOR MTC and for DMX a CATALYST Controls V3 and a DL 1. THE IDEA IS TO PROJECT TRAILERS OF MOVIES IN 3 SCREEN. THE SOUND THIS IN THE PC AND THE VIDEO IN MAC. EVERYTHING WORKS VERY WELL BUT THE AUDIO ONE NOT THIS IN SYNC WITH THE VIDEO. THAT I CAN MAKE TO CORRECT THIS?
SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH
GRACIAS
A

you use the inpoint and outpoint to set a timecode offset.

i think outpoint sets a positive offset. inpoint a negative one.

what timecode does your movie start at? in hours minutes, seconds and frames.
And what computer are you using?

AFISCHER
02-05-2004, 02:11 AM
hi
in pc p4 use cubase vsl this is master clock for mtc.
cubase start mtc in hog pc.
hogpc send dmx data to catalyst mac g4 v3 d40.
now dont set mtc in mac.
hog pc is only dmx control for video
i don`t set mtc for catalyst too.

samsc
03-05-2004, 08:52 AM
hi
in pc p4 use cubase vsl this is master clock for mtc.
cubase start mtc in hog pc.
hogpc send dmx data to catalyst mac g4 v3 d40.
now dont set mtc in mac.
hog pc is only dmx control for video
i don`t set mtc for catalyst too.

if you need to sync things up to catalyst and external audio, you need to send mtc to catalyst as well.

computers just do not stay in sync without this.

samsc
03-05-2004, 02:38 PM
if you need to sync things up to catalyst and external audio, you need to send mtc to catalyst as well.

computers just do not stay in sync without this.

you already have mtc ( midi time code ) available - so you will just need a usb midi interface.

like one of these:

http://www.emagic.de/products/hw/mt4/index.php?lang=EN

Improve
03-05-2004, 03:38 PM
You dont need to sync different computers together, because they playback accurately at 25fps or 30fps - unless the drives have to do too much.
Software is designed for accurate playback of movies - as long as your drives are fast enough.

Im at eurovision in istanbul + turkey + and we have 8 ( eight ) g5s outputting onto a single huge seemless video wall..
And there is only a very tiny difference between movies.
movies playback at the correct time - not using the 'sync' function.
But we may have to use it with certain movies where image continuity is critical.
You really would notice it in this type of environment.

----

Audio - in the professional environments that this software is used in - is a huge can of worms - that i have addressed before.
It is something i have been doing for years in my show control stuff, i do not feel comfortable having high end support one more feature right now.

---
If you want to sync to a professional audio source such as yamaha or other hard disc playback units then you use the midi time code sync function that is in catalyst.
I have used this on shows.

Thanks for you're reply,

However, I have done a show recently with two servers and two DL1's. There where two moving screens, so each screen a DL1. Finally the screens roll together to a wide screen. The movie for this consists of two movies, a left movie and a right movie. They have to be played within the frame accurate, most of the time this was the case, but offcourse during the performance there was a frame or a few frames difference wich offcourse can be seen. The only way then to sync exactly is by using the sync option, right??

FYI, both movies were started simultaniously by a hog, the hog was started through showcontrol wich also started a harddisk DOREMI for the sound.

samsc
03-05-2004, 03:46 PM
They have to be played within the frame accurate, most of the time this was the case, but offcourse during the performance there was a frame or a few frames difference wich offcourse can be seen. The only way then to sync exactly is by using the sync option, right??

How long were your clips?

What computer and disc system were you using?

Improve
04-05-2004, 08:59 AM
How long were your clips?

What computer and disc system were you using?

I had two G5's. One standard dual 2G with ATI 9800 and standard HD, and the second G5 also with dual 2G and ATI 9800 but with a raptor drive.

Clips were 2 min 50 sec long, and compressed with Motion JPEGA

samsc
04-05-2004, 10:47 AM
I had two G5's. One standard dual 2G with ATI 9800 and standard HD, and the second G5 also with dual 2G and ATI 9800 but with a raptor drive.

Clips were 2 min 50 sec long, and compressed with Motion JPEGA

so you had different disc setups in each machine?

and what compression quality with mjpeg?

and how many layers at the same time?