PDA

View Full Version : Missed RS232

Trench117
27-09-2015, 10:10 PM
Hi,

I have a v4 main and backup system programmed on presets, triggered by MSC. Currently both main and backup are outputting identical serial to the projectors at the same time. Once possibly twice I have had a missed shutter open cue on one of the units. I have heard this could be because of the dual serial output.

Any thoughts? Ideally would turn serial on and off as part of the main/backup switch.

T

samsc
02-11-2015, 10:21 AM
rs232 is susceptible to any kindof electrical or ground interference in any system-

absolutely not recommended to use rs232 for more than a few feet. unless you have boxes which are able to transmit the signal over long distances using a differential or balanaced signal

Hi,

I have a v4 main and backup system programmed on presets, triggered by MSC. Currently both main and backup are outputting identical serial to the projectors at the same time. Once possibly twice I have had a missed shutter open cue on one of the units. I have heard this could be because of the dual serial output.

Any thoughts? Ideally would turn serial on and off as part of the main/backup switch.

T

Mr_P
02-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Hi,

T

How are you transmitting the RS232?
If over TCPIP, does the Serial server allow multiple client connections?
Is the serial command specifically OPEN with a separate command for CLOSE?
(some projectors use the same command to open and close - so you could see what might happen if you are sending 2 commands…)

(assuming TCPIP serial server)
Personally - I would only use ONE Mac at a time to send the command…

Probably test to see what happens if you send 2 commands at exactly the same time.
Are they ignored? received sequentially?
Only way of knowing is to test…

S

Trench117
05-11-2015, 08:13 PM
It was transmitted using a netcom server into a Voyager Fibre TX/RX. It was specific open and close command for panasonic projectors.

I did a test with only one mac outputting for a show and still had a missed command. For the sake of the show I switched to HTTP commands which has resolved the issue. I can only imagine at this stage it was something to do with the serial on the PJ end or the voyagers. I swapped all the other serial cable and the port of the serial server.

D

**I should also mention it was always the same projector!!**