PDA

View Full Version : Catalyst v5 The Unofficial Guide

kiwi
29-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Available to pre order now.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/catalyst-v5-unofficial-guide/id931926815?mt=11&ign-mpt=uo=4

From here on in I won't be updating the v4 book, and will be push free updates of this v5 book as the Catalyst v5 software progresses.

Thank you for all your support so far.

Paul

kiwi
29-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Forgot to say?
Available only on iPad and Mac OSX Mavericks or higher.

Avalible in 51 iTunes stores.
The list can be found here:
http://www.kenah.kiwi.nz/page5/index.html

5th Element
31-10-2014, 07:22 PM
any kind of discount/upgrade path for those of us who bought v4?

kiwi
02-11-2014, 01:16 AM
any kind of discount/upgrade path for those of us who bought v4?

Sadly Apple doesn't give me the luxury of being able to do such things. It's annoying because I would really like to.
However I've tried to is reflect that people have bought the v4 in the pre sale price of the v5 book.

Thanks for your support so far.

faceoff
08-11-2014, 08:36 AM
what about plan to distribute it to ru or/and ua zone? or how to buy it in country that not in list?

djslavabob
12-11-2014, 11:36 PM
The same questions.
This manual is available in Nicaragua, Peru, Venezuela...
Why is it not available in Russia??? Is it posibl to know the reason?
Or may be to get some explanation.
Is it author position, Apple general policy, weird rules of Russian AppStore...
may be Sanctions? :)
Could You answer, please?
Thanks in advance.

Gringoloco
12-11-2014, 11:55 PM
Paul,
Great book. Any hope of moving it to other e-book platforms?

kiwi
13-11-2014, 12:52 AM
Regarding availability in Russia, this is because Apple does not allow self publishers to sell in that territory. I've complained to Apple about it, I don't know why they don't allow it...... My apologies to those people in Russia, I am trying to find a solution.

Regarding making the book available in other formats.... Not as yet, the book contains various interactive elements which is one of the reasons I chose the ibook format, an ePub format wouldn't allow me to use most of those elements, and I really don't fancy having two versions of the same book to maintain.

Paul.

djslavabob
14-11-2014, 02:17 PM
Paul, thanks a lot for explanations.

test
09-12-2014, 11:55 PM
Thanks! Excellent guide ! When there is a description of all effects ?

kiwi
10-12-2014, 07:36 AM
Thanks! Excellent guide ! When there is a description of all effects ?

I think there is something like 4 new visual effects that say "more info coming soon".
They say that because I don't have the full info on what they do yet.

Are there specific ones you're interested in?

test
10-12-2014, 08:36 PM
For example, I do not fully understand how the effects of "aekeys" and "autofade test".

kiwi
11-12-2014, 07:45 AM
Neither do I....

escueto
15-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Thanks paul.
An excellent guide.
What I feel my English level is too low
And i can not copy translate.

Thank you

Barret
17-12-2014, 09:40 PM
The guide is great Paul, there's some really helpful hints that can easily be overlooked with Catalyst.
Thanks for the hard work you've put in

kiwi
18-12-2014, 08:36 AM
The guide is great Paul, there's some really helpful hints that can easily be overlooked with Catalyst.
Thanks for the hard work you've put in

Thanks

blamelewis
14-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Hi Paul, a hearty thank you for the book which has just helped me fix a thing I couldn't get my head around...

I'll spell it out in case anyone else is searching for help with the same issue:

- I had attached multiple displays to my Mac Pro (two projectors and a programming monitor)
- Outputs 1 and 2 were both appearing in the same place - my programming monitor - so pressing A would go to full screen on this, but pressing D would *also* bring up a full screen for output two on the monitor (and not - as I'd expected - on one of the two attached projectors)
- One of the two projectors did get a signal - from Output 3.

- The fix was to distribute the Display Index numbers from the dropdown menu next to each output - so the programming monitor is now Display Index 1, and the two projectors have Display index 2 and 3 respectively.

I had one question which was what's the mechanism behind this - the projector that did get a signal (from output 3) was also assigned to Display Index 1 at first - so can each of the Display Indexes cope with two outputs? Is there any mapping between these and the Thunderbolt buses on the Mac Pro?

Thanks again Paul and also to anyone who can shed any light on the question above.

Best

Tim

Edited to add:

I found my way to the answer with the aid of this thread: http://samsc.co/showthread.php?2384-4-outputs-from-Mac-Pro&highlight=display+index
- however the thumbnails / images aren't showing up so I couldn't see Paul's picture of the Display Indexes in the reply he made mentioning them - so I looked in the book!
- not sure what's up with the images not appearing?
T.

Mr_P
14-02-2015, 11:33 PM
Regarding display index:

Output 1 and 2 default to display-index 1
You need to change output 2 to display-index 2 (as you discovered)
Output 3-6 are actually fixed to display-index 3-6 respectively, despite whatever you select on the dropdown menu

Also note that the sequence in which you connect the displays will affect the display index.
It is not necessarily logical!…
Changing the screen layout order to match catalyst, in system preferences, can help some confusion
Essentially - the OS decides what it wants to do - best option is to accept it and move your LCD or use a matrix to acquire your desired layout

S

kiwi
14-07-2015, 08:49 AM
For those of you running iOS 8.4, you should now be able to download and view the book on your iPhone.

kiwi
20-07-2015, 09:32 AM
what about plan to distribute it to ru or/and ua zone? or how to buy it in country that not in list?

What ebook services are available in Russia? is Kobo available there?

djslavabob
04-08-2015, 05:19 PM
What ebook services are available in Russia? is Kobo available there?

Hi, Paul!
As far as I know Google's PlayBook and Amazon's Kindle are available in Russia.
Unfortunately I can't say anything about Kobo.