PDA

View Full Version : IP Address issue

Barret
15-10-2014, 02:36 PM
I've been having a problem for a while now on both my NEW 2014 Mac Pro and my old Mac Pro Tower with Catalyst recognising the IP address of the machine.
Catalyst is always saying the address is 0.0.0.0 no matter what addresses I assign with the computer (I've tried 10.0.0.x and others) or the modem or which method I connect the computer to the network (ethernet cable or wireless, Basic modem, airport express etc).

The Macbook Pro doesn't have any issues at all - It recognises the IP address as I would expect (Artnet or non Artnet friendly).

I thought I was overlooking something simple whilst on on a job but back in the office I'm still getting the same results - Am I overlooking something simple?!!

I thought I'd try it fresh on the new beta, just in case(image attached)

Mr_P
15-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Couple of things here…

I assume you are using Mavericks 10.9.x
The network libraries Catalyst used to use were removed from Mavericks by apple - so Bleasdale had to use a new library.
Basically, Catalyst now only looks at the IP address on network card 'en0' rather than the network interface at the top of the 'service order' in network preferences (as before). So if the IP address you have entered is not on en0, it wont appear in the top of the catalyst control window. (or you may see 0.0.0.0 if en0 is not active)

(Check the network section of system preferences or network utility to see which one is defined as 'en0' - it differs between models MacMini / MacPro / MacBook…)

However, this doesn't matter too much, depending on what you are trying to do.

For example:
If using artnet input to control catalyst from a console, simply set one of the Network ports to the artnet IP and subnet (2.0.0.x, 255.0.0.0)
Catalyst will still receive artnet, despite saying non-artnet IP address.

Also
You should setup a new location specifically for catalyst and only include he ports in use
(I notice from your picture you have almost every network port included in 'auomatic')
Name the location catalyst, and only include the ethernet port in use (preferably en0)

The Mac network setup works as a sort of bridge and many different IP addresses can co-exist.
It also seems possible to connect to the mac on unexpected addresses (ie the address for the other network port)
(worth reading about class A networks)

Let me know if you are trying to do something specific

regards

Simon

Barret
16-10-2014, 09:20 AM
The info above was just what i needed to be clear about setting up the network (yes, I'm on mavericks).
I've managed to get it all up and running this morning as it should be.

Many Thanks

Barret

PascalVittoz
16-10-2014, 05:04 PM
I bave the sale on new Mac book pro Retina. The Thunderbolt adaptator is not en0 and i can't connect to the network any more

Mr_P
16-10-2014, 07:05 PM
As described:
You should setup a new location specifically for catalyst and only include the ports in use
Disable or turn off any others
Anything with DHCP will take priority over a static IP address (wifi) - so turn off any adaptors not in use and use static IP addresses.

So long as you have the correct IP address and subnet it will work

…Again - It doesn't matter what the catalyst control window says

What are you trying to achieve?

S

PascalVittoz
16-10-2014, 08:17 PM
I do that, i disable all other adaptator and use only static adress and i can't connect situ an artnet adress in order to control il with a lighting desk

Mr_P
16-10-2014, 08:44 PM
What lighting desk is it?
What is the artnet IP adress and subnet of the lighting console?
What is the catalyst IP adress and subnet?

S

PascalVittoz
16-10-2014, 10:56 PM
It's a grandma2 with eth0 with manet2 network (192.168.0.11 and Mask 3x255.0) and eth1 with artnet network (2.4.1.1 and mask 255.0.0.0). Catalyst was 2.1.1.1 mask 255.0.0.0. I dont think it's bad because it work with MacBook pro with réel ethernet connector and with Mac pro. The problème is just with new Macbook pro Retina with Thunderbolt adaptator

Mr_P
17-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Create a new location and ensure that all the other network adaptors are removed or disabled, apart from the Thunderbolt adaptor.

However, if it works on the MacBook and MacPro with ethernet port - then it looks like a problem with the thunderbolt adaptor…

PascalVittoz
17-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Yes but it works for other soft like Luminet monitor

5th Element
17-10-2014, 04:09 PM
I have had similar issues with the thunderbolt/ ethernet adapter and a retina MBP. Solution for me was a restart with everything connected before restart. Something with accidentally disconnecting thunderbolt while plugged in and having to replug it, cat didn't like it.
I know USB ports are a scarce resource on a MBP but I have had good success with USB3 adapters as well, they don't seem to come unplugged quite as easily.

5th Element
21-10-2014, 05:03 AM
Although reading this thread has brought up a question. In the past I have always set up 2 networks for catalyst. One for artnet and one for sync data, remote desktop, etc.. I was led to believe that the sync data was quite bandwidth heavy and should not be on the same network as artnet. With the new networking setup in Mavericks, how can I get catalyst to only output to one ethernet adapter or the other. In past versions it seemed as though whatever was at the top of the service order would be the one I wanted for sync data and artnet would just be inbound so that was fine to be the other one. Do we need to always be looking for en0 and make sure that is the broadcast network IP we want?
Does pixel mad then always output on that adapter as well?

Mr_P
21-10-2014, 09:49 AM
Nothing has changed in that respect - it is still possible to use 2 networks.
Catalyst used to show the IP address of the network adaptor at the top of the service order - now it doesn't due to the OS - but that doesn't affect any functionality
Just ignore what is says at the top of the Catalyst Control window (unless you are using en0)

Artnet:
Artnet is a broadcast protocol - so the sending device will 'broadcast' to all receivers with a network adaptor with a valid IP address in the correct range.
If unicast - its point to point and the destination is specified by the source anyway.

When transmitting from PixelMad, you should ensure that you select the correct broadcast IP range (i.e. 2.255.255.255 - not 255.255.255.255 if using multiple networks.)

Sync Data:
There is a 'remote' drop-down menu in the catalyst control window allowing you to choose the IP address range and subnet through which to transmit.
Again - so long as you setup a network adaptor with the correct IP address and subnet, the network traffic will be transmitted though the correct adaptor (network interface)

S