PDA

View Full Version : video playback problem

oleg_kazan
10-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Hi!

I have cat 4.40 m364 on Mac Pro 2010, Quadro 4000, SSD 240Gb for content.

Second screen - via th2g 2 x 1920x1080x60

I try to play movie 3312x480 25 frames/sec Photo jpeg from QuickTime player.
File have a 5 GB size.
It's playing smoothly.

When i try to play this file from Catalyst it's playing with some delays.
As well as while playing i will copy some files on same disk.

I made a copy with AIC codec from Cat - 1,5 GB. The same delays.

I try only 1 layer, no inputs.

Play mode - PL Audio.

Help! Need decision!

oleg_kazan
13-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Many views, no answers.

Drop frames while play back within audio.
Without audio - smoothly.

Need help. Will show next week.

Mr_P
13-12-2013, 04:20 PM
What is the data-rate of your movie?
(apple+i in quicktime)
What OS?
What MacPro Hardware spec?

As has been said a million times here:
Catalyst is not quicktime
just because a file plays in Quicktime, doesn't mean it will play in Catalyst

Quicktime Player prioritise audio - to prevent glitching.
Catalyst prioritises video - different to Quicktime Player - to provide best playback

However, if using an audio playmode, then Catalyst prioritises audio to ensure that you don't hear any audio dropout.
But this can be very processor intensive, especially for a PhotoJpeg file of that resolution.

If using 10.8.5, then render file as ProRes LT or Proxy and see how that works (data rate may still be too high)

If you still get issues, then render the audio as a separate 16x16 black file.
Run the audio file on a separate layer and sync the video playback to the audio layer (using sync ID playmode)

This means that the video layer will be rendered by the graphics card and the audio by the processor

Depending on the data rate of your movie file, you may need to reduce the quality or resolution until catalyst can playback smoothly...

S

Mr_P
15-12-2013, 01:11 PM
One answer - no response...

;)

oleg_kazan
16-12-2013, 05:42 AM
samsc.com/images/smilies/wink.png

Original file.

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/9092/165215451.0/0_c4639_ffa1b67_L.png

Encoded file.

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/9759/165215451.0/0_c463a_b765129b_L.png

Sorry for russian but i think you understand.

Mac OS 10.6.8, Mac PRO 5,1, 2 x 2,4 GHz Xeon, 6 GB, 1TB system disk, 240 GB Vertex SSD, Nvidia Quadro 4000 2GB, LFG (not active in settings), Intensity PRO (not active in Catalyst), TH2G.

I conducted an experiment. In Layer1 i playback AIC file with mode 4 - PLOnceFW, and in Layer4 i playback the same (not copy of Layer1) file with mode 70 - PLAudio.
I see only Layer1. It playing smoothly!!!

Catalyst can playback up to 8 AIC files like this without drops.

70 Megabits - not so much data-rate for one file?
It is a feature of Catalyst playing not smoothly sometimes with Audio mode?

Regards,
Oleg

Mr_P
16-12-2013, 07:12 AM
yes - i would expect those results:
8 layers of 1920x1080 at 25fps AIC aprox 70Mb/s PLOnceFW without (no) audio

When playing video ONLY - everything gets rendered on the graphics card as catalyst prioritises video - so it should be smooth.

When playing AUDIO - that layer doesn't get rendered on the graphics card - because catalyst has to prioritises the audio - which is much more processor intensive.

To make it easier for the processors to cope with audio - it is best to render the audio+video as a small 16x16 movie file (AIC / ProRes) and make it all black

then you can sync the video only playback (on one layer) to the audio+video file playback (on another layer) using SyncID playmode on the video only layer
note: - you don't even have to assign the audio layer to an output/mix in this scenario

S

vb86
16-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Hi!

I have cat 4.40 m364 on Mac Pro 2010, Quadro 4000, SSD 240Gb for content.

Second screen - via th2g 2 x 1920x1080x60

I try to play movie 3312x480 25 frames/sec Photo jpeg from QuickTime player.
File have a 5 GB size.
It's playing smoothly.

When i try to play this file from Catalyst it's playing with some delays.
As well as while playing i will copy some files on same disk.

I made a copy with AIC codec from Cat - 1,5 GB. The same delays.

I try only 1 layer, no inputs.

Play mode - PL Audio.

Help! Need decision!

Hi! May be the problem is in the differs in refresh rate of the screen and the FPS of the movie. It is better to use 30FPS movies with 60Hz refresh rate and 25FPS with 50Hz... Other case you will see strob during playback. Try to update firmware in TH2Go in new version there are 2x1280x720@50Hz and 3x1280x720@50Hz modes, its much better for playing 25 FPS movies. One more thing, what version of OS X do you use? I have tried 10.8.5 and have some problems with high definition videos, such as dropframe on screen (while playing only 1 layer and FPS and other indicators were OK), and tearing (like V-sync is disabled). So I had to roll back to 10.6.8. Using this version of OS everything runs much better, I means the same file in the same resolutions (movie and output) runs without any problems.

(if its easier to you to speak russian or ukrainian welcome vb86@mail.com)

Mr_P
16-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Hi! May be the problem is in the differs in refresh rate of the screen and the FPS of the movie. It is better to use 30FPS movies with 60Hz refresh rate and 25FPS with 50Hz... Other case you will see strob during playback. Try to update firmware in TH2Go in new version there are 2x1280x720@50Hz and 3x1280x720@50Hz modes, its much better for playing 25 FPS movies. One more thing, what version of OS X do you use? I have tried 10.8.5 and have some problems with high definition videos, such as dropframe on screen (while playing only 1 layer and FPS and other indicators were OK), and tearing (like V-sync is disabled). So I had to roll back to 10.6.8. Using this version of OS everything runs much better, I means the same file in the same resolutions (movie and output) runs without any problems.

That is not the problem here...
totally unrelated.

s

oleg_kazan
17-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Yes, does not apply to the present case.

This is not drop frames in layers window. This is how I see some times braking of video. Not with constant periodicity.

I also thought about it and conducted an experiment with 60 and 75 refresh rate of full screen and 25-30 frames movie. It does not affect.

50 herz no good frec for some led screen equipment.

I have 10.6.8 OS.

Ok. А good experience!

Thank you!

P.S. Need more layers, need additional widget for light console!

samsc
17-12-2013, 11:15 AM
what is your catalyst playback frame rate?

samsc
17-12-2013, 11:18 AM
everything always gets rendered to the graphics card-

its the playback frame rate that changes-
with audio you have to playback at the movie frame rate-
which does not match the screen refresh rate -

yes - i would expect those results:
8 layers of 1920x1080 at 25fps AIC aprox 70Mb/s PLOnceFW without (no) audio

When playing video ONLY - everything gets rendered on the graphics card as catalyst prioritises video - so it should be smooth.

When playing AUDIO - that layer doesn't get rendered on the graphics card - because catalyst has to prioritises the audio - which is much more processor intensive.

To make it easier for the processors to cope with audio - it is best to render the audio+video as a small 16x16 movie file (AIC / ProRes) and make it all black

then you can sync the video only playback (on one layer) to the audio+video file playback (on another layer) using SyncID playmode on the video only layer
note: - you don't even have to assign the audio layer to an output/mix in this scenario

S

Mr_P
17-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Yes, does not apply to the present case.

I also thought about it and conducted an experiment with 60 and 75 refresh rate of full screen and 25-30 frames movie. It does not affect.

Frame rate and refresh rate is VERY important

They should be an exact multiple
ie:
25fps = 50Hz / 75Hz
30fps = 60Hz

or you will see visual glitching (different from frame dropping you are experiencing with movie playback)

As richard posted - see the lock/divide options to lock the frame rate to an exact division of the output refresh rate.

S

samsc
17-12-2013, 12:15 PM
the problem is with audio - there is never an exact match between the audio and the video frame rates-

so you have to do the next best thing -which is different for every scenario-

with audio playback-
if you have a single layer - and you need it to look perfect -you have to set playback to the highest setting supported by the display-
screen 1 div 1 -

this renders everything at 60Hz- or 75Hz- and gives a chance to the video frame rate to reach the screen

samsc
17-12-2013, 12:18 PM
not quite -
audio and video clocks are never synchronised-

audio 25hz is not the same as video 25hz

ie:
25fps = 50Hz / 75Hz
30fps = 60Hz

or you will see visual glitching (different from frame dropping you are experiencing with movie playback)

As richard posted - see the lock/divide options to lock the frame rate to an exact division of the output refresh rate.

S

oleg_kazan
18-12-2013, 04:27 AM
set to 25

oleg_kazan
18-12-2013, 04:55 AM

ie:
25fps = 50Hz / 75Hz
30fps = 60Hz

S

I now that it is VERY impotant.

But i remind: it is not periodical permanent drops and not frame lost in layer screen.
It is some times (may be in 10 or 20 secs) breaks of video. Only with audio mode.

Movie allready have an glitching. Because the move (i think) is made of 30 fp videos. Not all movies.

It can be seen in the QT player.

I hope you understand me.
And i have a solution with an additional layer 16х16 Audio mode.

In this show I need 2 outs 1920x1080.
Only 60 can be.
75 - not exist.
50 - not support TH2G DE, and not supports some leds.

oleg_kazan
18-12-2013, 05:03 AM
so you have to do the next best thing -which is different for every scenario-

with audio playback-
if you have a single layer - and you need it to look perfect -you have to set playback to the highest setting supported by the display-
screen 1 div 1 -

this renders everything at 60Hz- or 75Hz- and gives a chance to the video frame rate to reach the screen

What settings should I put for my case?

samsc
18-12-2013, 11:40 AM
30fps movie-?
50Hz outputs?

you need to set it to screen 1 div 1-
or screen 2 div 1

I now that it is VERY impotant.

But i remind: it is not periodical permanent drops and not frame lost in layer screen.
It is some times (may be in 10 or 20 secs) breaks of video. Only with audio mode.

Movie allready have an glitching. Because the move (i think) is made of 30 fp videos. Not all movies.

It can be seen in the QT player.

I hope you understand me.
And i have a solution with an additional layer 16х16 Audio mode.

In this show I need 2 outs 1920x1080.
Only 60 can be.
75 - not exist.
50 - not support TH2G DE, and not supports some leds.

samsc
18-12-2013, 11:42 AM
with audio-
you need to try screen 1 div 1
or screen 2 div 1 -

whichever is your main screen-

-

you have a compeletely mixed system with frame rates all over the place-
very very difficult to do things

What settings should I put for my case?

oleg_kazan
19-12-2013, 05:45 AM
Ok i will try.

Thank you!

wodie
19-12-2013, 02:51 PM
If you have so many formats, I recommend using Folsom Image Pros to feed every screen with its best format.

samsc
19-12-2013, 04:09 PM
If you have so many formats, I recommend using Folsom Image Pros to feed every screen with its best format.

Image pros don't help at all in this scenario
And can make things worse