PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best HD capture card for Catalyst?

wodie
29-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Hi all, I am planing to purchase multichannel input cards for Catalyst, which do you recommend? I was considering Active Silicon Phoenix dual channel cards, but also found that there is a PCIx version of 4 Lane and a1 Lane version, so which is best?

Thank you for your advices.

MattMills
01-12-2013, 01:53 PM
I have been very happy with my Phoenix cards

faceoff
03-12-2013, 04:42 PM
I am very unhappy with those stuff like a phoenix card, always when initialise it, cat soft hang all system to fray screen of death. When using flash based software, and trying to start cat software it also hanging. But with the blackmagic card work properly, but has another lack in the form of increased sensitivity to cell phones near the plugs. As my experience.

mlorenz
04-12-2013, 06:03 AM
Never had problems with the Phoenix Cards...
Very fast also, faster than the Blackmagic

wodie
05-12-2013, 06:19 AM
Thank you all for the feedback. So I will go for a Phoenix card. The only thing to choose now is: 1 Lane or 4 Lane version?

Peter
06-12-2013, 11:38 AM
phoenix works great
4 lane is faster and allows for 2 HD SDI streams (hardware depending)
2 SDI inputs are more cost effective
P

Mr_P
06-12-2013, 04:17 PM
4 lane Active Silicon card is the best option:
AS D10 PE4H (single SD/HD-SDI input)
AS D20 PE4H (dual SD/HD-SDI input)
1 lane SDI cards are old and being discontinued.

LFG composite card still available:
4 input composite, 1 lane

Blackmagic cards work fine, but can be fussy about the refresh rate.
Some cards inherently frame buffer, although this is less noticeable in 5,1 MacPros.

S

faceoff
19-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Hello again can any one suggest me with model (that fully compatible with new mac os x and capture card + catalyst software) of pci express extender for pci express capture card via thunderbolt for new mac pro?
Also may some one try to use model with 2 slot for capture card and pcie storage?

tylerr
05-08-2015, 11:37 PM
is the PHX-D20HDSDI in x4 PCI Express Form Factor" in a Sonnet "Echo Express III-R Rackmount Thunderbolt 2 Expansion Chassis" still the best choice?
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpress3r.html

Also has anyone played with the Sonnet Mobile rack kit? Looks like it will add 8 drives to the 2U expansion card chasse. http://www.sonnettech.com/product/mobilerackkit.html

Mr_P
06-08-2015, 12:18 AM
Yes
Active Silicon AS-PHX-D20-PE4H HDSDI x4 PCIe card in a Sonnet "Echo Express III-R Rackmount Thunderbolt 2 Expansion Chassis" (or any Sonnet TB2 chassis) is the best choice..
Magma and other TB2 chassis also work
(I would avoid all blackmagic products)

The Sonnet Mobile Racks are expensive and also require an SATA PCIe card
Better solution are:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempopciessd.html
or
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempossdproplus.html
or
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusionpcieflashdrive.html

S

faceoff
18-11-2015, 01:54 PM
Any one test/use deltacast video input cards? (www.deltacast.tv) I know that their sell it like ODM or OEM, but may be some one had experience.

Mr_P
18-11-2015, 02:51 PM
Any one test/use deltacast video input cards? (www.deltacast.tv) I know that their sell it like ODM or OEM, but may be some one had experience.

The Deltacast look interesting - but no idea of price and availability

Active Silicon cards are the best, most stable, option currently available for HD-SDI live capture and are readily available.

S

backstageDoug
02-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Simon,

I know your the UK guy to go to for the Active Silicon Cards, who would you recommend going though across the pond over in the states?

Thanks,

- Doug

NevBull
03-12-2015, 07:10 AM
hi Doug

there are several resellers in each territory ( UK included ), it's best to email Active Silicon to see who is your nearest reseller as the list gets updated.

regards

Nev.

Mr_P
03-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Like Nev said…

Local sales territories exist. (check with Active Silicon)
In addition to the UK, we are allowed to sell worldwide (so long as it is media server related) where there isn't already a local Active Silicon Dealer.

However, if it is strictly catalyst related we are also allowed to sell across territories only to: an existing client, or as part of a Catalyst System to a new client

S

backstageDoug
03-12-2015, 09:30 PM
Thanks guys, I've got an email out to active silicon to find out the best route for the US. I already have the catalyst keys as we're just upgrading a system.

Thanks!

- Doug

Yurij Dyudin
22-11-2016, 11:48 AM
I have 6 mac pro's with BM Quad 1 - 4 inputs/4 outputs and 2 mac's with BM Quad 2, the BMQ2 have 8 flexible connection, you can set 8 outputs or 8 inputs. I use this cards with 32/64GB RAM. Works good.

NevBull
22-11-2016, 12:13 PM
There are four inputs on the QUAD card - not 8.

mlorenz
10-01-2017, 06:30 AM
There are four inputs on the QUAD card - not 8.

If you use the Quad 2 you will have 8
Thats what Yurij said ;-)

NevBull
10-01-2017, 07:48 AM
Ah - Misread the post - thanks Mlorenz