PDA

View Full Version : slow shutter/trail

Sven
10-04-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi Richard

I am a newbie with Catalyst and there is the possibility I have missed a feature or parameter but...
I try and manipulate live camera feeds a lot because I work with Theatre Directors or Chreographers who are very interesting in the physical movement of the performers and the change in perception once those performers are 'filmed' and subsequently projected back on stage.
Two particular useful effects to me are a 'slow shutter" effect as found on consumer mini dv cams and and interlace mix effect.
As for the slow shutter effect, I have tried combining 'strobe' with 'trails' with tranparencies set to black.
It's not quite the same and I also run into the common dilemma of in practice needing to dial in the colour which is to be made transparent, which I know is a challenge on its own, even in non realtime processing systems.
I do not know how how the slow shutter effect works on dvcams, but if it involves the shutter (presumably) an effect in catalyst that let's me set the number of frames grabbed per second (without going to black, as in strobe) and add a longer trail then currently possible could to the trick.

As for the interlacing: making a camera feed look degraded is probably not verybodies aim, but beyond adding scanlines I have got used to an effect on a tiny rival mac software which lets me 'interlace' two sources and specify the width of the lines as well as the gap between the lines. the latter is not actually a degradation but an interesting way of looking at two images or streams simultaneously.

These might be exotic requests and I do not want to sound unhappy with Catalyst which I am not.

Sven

:)

samsc
10-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Hi Richard

Sven

:)

wierd i looked at the code to do something like this again last night.
i thought about setting the frame rate from the movie speed channel.

i have a dance,film and experimental theatre background too.
i like things to be a bit fucked up - in a beautiful way.
---

dont worry about slagging me off if you want to.

Vickie_C
17-06-2004, 09:04 PM
richard
in these new versions of Catalyst with mulitple layers and dual outputs, it seems logical to ask for the ability to have trails on high layers (like 3 or 4) without having trails on layer one, right? what if I don't want trails on layers 1 & 2 which is routed to output 1, while I do want trails on layers 3 &4 which is routed to output 2?

thanks
vc

samsc
17-06-2004, 10:34 PM
richard
in these new versions of Catalyst with mulitple layers and dual outputs, it seems logical to ask for the ability to have trails on high layers (like 3 or 4) without having trails on layer one, right? what if I don't want trails on layers 1 & 2 which is routed to output 1, while I do want trails on layers 3 &4 which is routed to output 2?

thanks
vc
should work on 3 & 4.
it is supposed to work per output. ( its always possible i messed up )

try setting the trails and fader values on 3 & 4 to the same kindof thing you would on 1 & 2