PDA

View Full Version : Qlab 3 / Catalyst

Trench117
11-05-2013, 01:15 AM
More of a discussion really.

The new release of qlab supports some interesting new video features like edge blending, seamless video looping, keystone correction, corner pinning, syphon integration and a sizeable collection of video effects.

All with a simple, smart intuitive interface for about $399 (just the video license)

Clearly both pieces of software have their own areas of expertise like DMX control and audio playback and no one should be suggesting one as a replacement for the other any time soon.

Qlab claims the ability to use 1000 layers of video. (Performance depending without a doubt)

Is this a sign of the times for Catalyst? Will it loose out to other software development with a more friendly intuitive interface (and eventually higher performance).

Thoughts on other options and the future of Catalyst.

MattMills
13-05-2013, 10:15 PM
I use Qlab but not as a Media Server. I use it as an automated follow spot caller. Have a read if interested.....

http://www.lightingprogrammer.com/Lighting_Programmer_Inc./Press_files/The%20Mind%20Melds%20of%20Matt%20Mills%20-%20PLSN.pdf

I dont see QLab really cutting into the Catalyst market simply because most people want easy control from the console. Sure, you can fire Midi to QLab but I find most my rentals are to Lighting Designers that are just getting into Media Servers and want a very simple and user friendly solution. Catalyst provides that.

However, I do hope Richard keeps Catalyst up to date and competitive with the other Media Servers on the market.

Mr_P
14-05-2013, 03:20 AM
There are sooooo many more things catalyst can do than Qlab.... its worlds - even universes apart with almost 10 years of development behind it.

I've seen new things in Catalyst that would make your pixels curl!...

Catalyst was doing 8 point (4 corner) keystone in version 1 - so many years ago I can't even remember (1999? before?)

... and Qlab has only just released this?...
Keep up

Regarding competition:
Each product is so unique with its approach and functionality that there really isn't much comparison or need to be competitive. Theres plenty of room in the market for all of the media server products...

S

Spam Butterfly
14-05-2013, 04:53 AM
Then there is the performance. Catalyst is blisteringly quick compared to QLab - the performance is sooo much better on the same Mac. I used to keep QLab and Catalyst in rental. QLab requires tons of RAM to play nicely, which Catalyst does not. What you save in the license fee on Qlab, you pay for in RAM.

QLab is a pretty good piece of software, however, and for shows that do not need Catalyst's bells and whistles can be well served by QLab. It is also a bit more accessible too. However, to say that it is cheaper is a fallacy. The license is cheaper, but you need a pimp daddy Mac + tons of RAM to make it work nicely in a professional application.

Hugh

kiwi
16-09-2013, 12:26 AM
its all about what you're trying to do.
if you have a small show with one or two outputs then Qlab is fine.

As far as I can see Qlab 3 still can't do keystoneing on a global level, or curved screens, or alot of the things we take for granted in Catalyst.

The other major way Qlab falls down is when you need to use more than one server. Multiple Catalyst servers can be controlled centrally from one console... Qlab cant.