PDA

View Full Version : GPU codec question

Barret
08-04-2013, 09:47 AM
I've just come out of a project that was quite labour intensive in terms of the number of active layers used together with syncing multiple layers across two machines (which was a first for me).
Due to some synced clips seizing during playback early in the project I had to re-address my preferred codec (after a little research on this forum) and had no problems after re-encoding the files to the Apple pro-res proxy codec.

However, during the research process I came across more recent GPU accelerated codecs - DXV codec from resolume (which I believe is the choice on the d3 servers) and more appropriately the 'Hap' codec (as it's open source).

My question is would playback in Catalyst benefit if such a codec was implemented into it?
And, I guess, if so could it happen?

heres the link to the Hap codec:
https://github.com/Vidvox/hap

Barret

5th Element
11-10-2013, 03:17 AM
I was also curious about this type of codec. While I don't really have any real knowledge of how different codecs effect playback, the logic sounds good to me. Catalyst will play back a DXV encoded file but it doesn't seem to offer any real advantage over apple pro res proxy as it is right now. But I don't know if there would need to be some tweaks made to make this codec perform properly?

Mr_P
11-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Pro-Res is the safest option

Open source is not reliable.

S

Eric Holmberg
20-10-2013, 04:20 PM
DXV dose not lock that good in my opinion so i would stay whit Pro-Res or aic.