PDA

View Full Version : Content drives with anything other than a mac pro

kiwi
24-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Hello,
What are the best options for content drives on non mac pro macs? i.e. mac minis, MacBooks and iMacs?

Is it to just have an SSD fitted and have the content and system drive as the same drive? or is it better to have an external SSD via FW800 or thunderbolt?

Thanks

mlorenz
02-03-2013, 10:35 AM
SSD via Thunderbolt is great

MacMini and MacBooks also have options to install a second drive/SSD, for example you can change the DVD drive to a SSD in a MacBook Pro

kiwi
05-03-2013, 08:37 PM
MacMini and MacBooks also have options to install a second drive/SSD, for example you can change the DVD drive to a SSD in a MacBook Pro

I'm not seeing this as an option on the Apple website, but perhaps that's because they dont have optical drives any more.

Mr_P
07-03-2013, 09:45 AM
SSD via Thunderbolt is great

... not an official option - but possible as a retro-fit afterwards...
Its usually the method I use

FW800 works - but limited performance
Thunderbolt may be a viable option - although I've not personally tested.

I prefer to install the HD permanently and mot risk the use of external caddies and cables...

S

technick
07-03-2013, 12:54 PM
For older Mac book pros there is also the option of E sata through the expansion slot.

Probably offers slightly improved performance over Firewire.

mlorenz
23-03-2013, 09:35 AM
I meant the older Mac Book Pros, there you could exchange the internal DVD to a second HDD/SDD