PDA

View Full Version : DVI/HDMI to HD-SDI Converter

AndreK
29-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Hello,
can anyone suggest a fast DVI/HDMI to HD-SDI Converter in a small form factor?
I need to get 4 SDI's OUT's.
I'm thinking about using a quad head with a SDI Converter on each output.
Thanks
Andre

ajmaudio
30-10-2012, 04:43 AM
I have had great luck with TvOne boxes... in your case a 2105a for instance... you can get 2 channels of conversion in one rack space... outside of that you can try something like a black magic box .....

AndreK
30-10-2012, 06:30 AM
The TV one box is very expensive.
Has anyone experience with the Blackmagic HDMI to SDI boxes?
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/miniconverters/

mlorenz
30-10-2012, 06:33 AM
Hey Andre,

Blackmagic Design Converters work ok and they are small, but they don´t support all resolutions.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/dviextender/

Never tried the Miniconverters, but it think they might have the same options like the DVI-Extender

Edit:

The Miniconverters supports more formats than the DVI Extender!!!

Spam Butterfly
30-10-2012, 09:52 AM
They support 'video' resolutions... They work by encouraging your graphics card to output 'video' type resolutions and frame rates using EDID. NB There is no genlock so you will need a frame sync to plug it into a broadcast environment or PPU.

These are useful for running HD SDI to projectors or whatever.

Hugh

Improve
30-10-2012, 07:23 PM
We use these to hook up MACbook's to catalyst systems with SDI input. That way we can do Keynote or PPT input to catalyst systems with good quality...

Unfortunately they don't work behind a Triple Head to go

ajmaudio
31-10-2012, 04:41 AM
The TvOne is certainly more expensive than a mini converter etc but offers far more... including genloc... wasnt sure from your post what all you needed to accomplish. It is however far more cost effective than say an Image Pro

AndreK
31-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Thanks so far. Would be interesting if the Blackmagic Converter work behind a Datapath X4. But it should as the Datapath accepts EDID at the outputs.
The best thing to find out is to try...

mlorenz
31-10-2012, 09:00 AM
They support 'video' resolutions... They work by encouraging your graphics card to output 'video' type resolutions and frame rates using EDID. NB There is no genlock so you will need a frame sync to plug it into a broadcast environment or PPU.

These are useful for running HD SDI to projectors or whatever.

Hugh

Hey Hugh,

I know, but the DVI Extender for example does not support 1080p50, the Miniconverters do.
Thats what I meant.

Spam Butterfly
31-10-2012, 04:44 PM
NB That is 1080p50 level B - Blackmagic kit only supports 3G SDI level B. There are two different flavours of 3G SDI - level A and level B. They work in different ways.

Hugh