PDA

View Full Version : looking for some insight

clighthall
26-03-2012, 03:28 AM
I have a MacPro that seems to have broken two Phoenix cards in a row. I posted this fall about a Phoenix card that was not being recognized by Catalyst. I am getting that with a card that worked for months and now suddenly does not. Here is a rough list of what has been happening with this machine.

-Change any file (delete,rename,move) and if I don't restart the machine, I get a system wide crash (grayed out screen with a must hard reset message). This happens while catalyst is scanning files.

-catalyst was "hanging" during start up. It would freeze when the splash screen said "setting up open GL (or there a bouts)". This is the most recent development and the one that has me the most scared.

-I got a Phoenix library error during startup. Catalyst would no longer see the SDI input. I replaced the card and all was good. Next day, same problem.

Thanks
Chris Lighthall

Mr_P
26-03-2012, 10:39 PM
I have a MacPro that seems to have broken two Phoenix cards in a row. I posted this fall about a Phoenix card that was not being recognised by Catalyst. I am getting that with a card that worked for months and now suddenly does not.

Refer to your local Active Silicon Dealer for support and test/repair of the cards.

What exact model are they? (written on the PCB)
Have you put them in a newer Macpro that previously used?
What error message have you seen?
What OS are you using
What drivers are installed?
Is the MacPro running in 32bit mode?
Is this an existing catalys show - or new blank show?
Can create a catalyst system profile?

-Change any file (delete,rename,move) and if I don't restart the machine, I get a system wide crash (grayed out screen with a must hard reset
message). This happens while catalyst is scanning files.

What o you mean? moving files? what files?
Why would you move a file while catalyst is scaning files?
if scan files causes a crash, then you probably have a problem with a file...
However, these problems sound like a bad or corrupted HardDrive?
Do you have a new HD available and can re-install the OS? - might be worth trying a clean install.

-catalyst was "hanging" during start up. It would freeze when the splash screen said "setting up open GL (or there a bouts)". This is the most recent development and the one that has me the most scared.

what graphics card do you have installed?

-I got a Phoenix library error during startup. Catalyst would no longer see the SDI input. I replaced the card and all was good. Next day, same problem

What hardware version of MacPro do you have?
Which PCIe slot is the phoenix card installed?
What other cards do you have installed.
Does the system get particularly hot in its environment? -is there suffcuent ventalation?

Sorry for lots of questions - but may help to diagnose...

Simon